Close relatives1 of ADB staff, except spouses of international staff, are not eligible for recruitment and appointment to staff positions. Applicants are expected to disclose if they have any relative/s by consanguinity/blood, by adoption and/or by affinity/marriage presently employed in ADB.
1Close relatives refer to spouse, children, mother, father, brother and sister, niece, nephew, aunt and uncle
Staff on probation are not eligible to apply. Applicants for promotion must have served at their position for at least one year and must have normally served at their personal level for at least two years immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date. Applicants for lateral transfer must have served at their position and personal level for at least one year immediately preceding the date of the vacancy closing date (reference A.O. 2.03, paragraphs 5.8 and 5.9).
In the event that the staff appointed to a new category (i.e. from AS to NS, or from NS to IS) is rated at 2 or lower in the first two performance reviews after appointment at the new level, they will return to the level occupied immediately prior to their appointment in the new category.
This is a special fixed-term appointment for a period of three (3) years following Section 3.1 (c.) of Administrative Order No. 2.01 (“Recruitment and Appointment’). This appointment is not convertible to a regular appointment. It may be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period at the option of ADB. This appointment is open to internal and external applicants.
If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the term.
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB is committed to achieving a prosperous, inclusive, resilient, and sustainable Asia and the Pacific, while sustaining its efforts to eradicate extreme poverty. ADB combines finance, knowledge, and partnerships to fulfill its expanded vision under its Strategy 2030.
ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
The position is assigned in the Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Division within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. SDCD consolidates thematic operational and knowledge support services to allow ADB respond to the growing need for innovative policies, institutions, and financing mechanisms to lead the region to a low-GHG and climate-resilient future and helping its member countries become more resilient to disasters. The position is assigned in the Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management Division within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. SDCD consolidates thematic operational and knowledge support services to allow ADB respond to the growing need for innovative policies, institutions, and financing mechanisms to lead the region to a low-GHG and climate-resilient future and helping its member countries become more resilient to disasters.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Senior Climate Change Specialist (Climate Change Adaptation) will be part of the Experts Pool initiative, and expected to provide substantive technical support to the Division’s activities related to supporting regional (operations) departments scale up investments in climate change adaptation in line with the priorities of the operational plan for ADB Strategy 2030 Operational Priority 3 – tackling climate change, building climate and disaster resilience, and enhancing environmental sustainability and ADB’s Climate Change Operational Framework 2017-2030 (CCOF2030). The incumbent will report to Director, SDCD, and may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
a. Climate Change Adaptation Strategies
• Support the development of strategies for scaling up climate change adaptation investments in public and private sector operations, including operations related to COVID-19 recovery, in order to meet ADB’s climate targets.
• Provide intellectual leadership in the development of resilience metrics to enable a comprehensive impact assessment of adaptation investments.
• Provide technical inputs to the preparation of country or sub-regional assessments, including inputs for country programming to ensure climate change adaptation are incorporated in Country Partnership Strategies and Regional Cooperation Strategies.
b. Project Development and Processing
• Support the development of principles for climate adaptation projects i.e. projects that have a primary purpose of climate adaptation in key sectors such as urban and water, and agriculture.
• Support the development of second-generation tool for climate risk screening and assessment.
• Provide technical advice on integration of climate risk management principles in programs and projects in key infrastructure sectors (energy, transport, urban and water) and identify necessary adaptation measures.
• Provide technical support to operations departments in preparing concepts notes, developing terms of reference for climate risk and adaptation assessments (CRA), reviewing CRAs and other requirements of various financing facilities.
• Provide advice and thought leadership for the implementation of regional technical assistance (RETA) projects on adaptation, especially on emerging topics such as disclosure of physical climate risk, private sector investments in adaptation, and adaptation investments through financial intermediaries.
• Support operationalization of adaptation aspects of Paris Alignment Methodology.
c. Knowledge Generation and Sharing
• Source external knowledge and networks to develop guidance notes and technical notes (i.e. sector/ thematic studies and assessments, good practices, and guidelines) to enable achievement of the climate finance targets.
• Provide technical inputs to the development of climate risk management training and capacity building programs for staff, executing agencies of developing member countries (DMCs), and other concerned parties.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
• Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Environmental Sciences, Economics or Engineering, or related fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered
• At least 8 to 10 years of relevant experience, including at international level, in management of climate change adaptation-related projects (e.g. leading projects)
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
• Experience in developing adaptation projects in different sectors, will be an advantage
• Strong multidisciplinary competence combined with substantial expertise in climate change adaptation, institutions and capacity building
• Familiarity with operations, policies and procedures of multilateral financial institutions, and experience in processing and implementation of ADB TAs and loans
• Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff level IS5.
The selected candidate, if new to ADB, is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.