Background of this search:
The Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA) is looking for an active graduate student (Master or Ph.D.) or recent graduate (graduate-level program) with an academic background in hydraulics, hydrology, water resources management or related fields to be hired as a Remote Summer Intern under Products and External Services Consultant (PEC) modality to support the activities of the HydroBID Support Center.
Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications, and much more.
The team’s mission:
The Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA), as a part of the Infrastructure and Energy Sector (INE), provides technical support to member countries on conceptualization, preparation, and execution of programs and projects in the water and sanitation sector. Specifically, WSA works in activities related to potable water, sanitation, urban drainage, water resources, and solid waste.
Following the Bank strategies, INE/WSA seeks to assist countries in their efforts to ensure universal access to these services in a sustainable manner and with high quality in their provision.
The HydroBID Support Center was created with the objective of support water resources management activities in Latin America and the Caribbean using technology and information.
What you’ll do:
The selected candidate will participate in the following activities:
- Collection of information, construction, and review of databases that serve as inputs for the preparation of the water availability map of Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC).
- Run simulations using the IDB’s owned tool HydroBID and HydroBID allocated on designated watersheds.
- Support the development of products and methodologies related to the application of the models.
- Support the preparation of guides, tools, and technical notes.
Deliverables and Payments timeline:
- Deliverable 1: Data collection report.
- Deliverable 2: Progress report on water availability modeling.
- Deliverable 3: Final Report on water availability mapping and effects of climate change on selected watersheds of LAC.
- Deliverable 4: Documentation Materials (Guides, Methodologies, Maps)
The payment schedule will be as follows: 25% on June 30, 25% on July 15, 25% on July 30, and 25% on August 13, 2021.
What you will need:
- Education: Active graduate student (Master or PhD. program) or recent graduate from a graduate-level program (maximum of 1 year after graduation date) in hydraulics, hydrology, water resources management, environmental engineering, or related fields in an accredited university.
- Experience: Minimum two years of experience.
- Languages: Be proficient in Spanish and preferably with a working knowledge of English
- Soft Skills: Self-management, flexibility, dependability, relationship building, results-driven, with strong communication skills.
- Technical skills: Working knowledge related to, hydrologic/hydraulic theories, hydrologic models (HydroBID, HEC-HMS, SWAT, or similar), Geographic Information Systems, Microsoft Suite.
Remote Internship under PEC modality Requirements:
To be part of our Remote Internship you will need to comply with all the following requirements:
- Be a national of an IDB member country.
- Be minimum 23 years of age as of the starting date of the remote summer internship.
- Be an active graduate student (Master or PhD. program) or recent graduate from a graduate-level program (maximum of 1 year after graduation date) in an accredited University.
- For active graduate students, submit academic transcripts as an attachment to the application, demonstrating a minimum of 50% of coursework completion and issued within the last 3 months.
- For recent graduates, submit a valid certificate with a graduation date not older than June 17, 2020, as an attachment to the application.
- Not be former staff member, Complementary Workforce (“CW”), contractors for the Corporation or the Bank or have previously provided services to the Corporation or the Bank through a contractor or under any other contractual modality.
- Not have family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB or IDB Invest.
- Have access to an Internet connection.
Candidates with more than 3 applications in the 2021 Remote Summer Internship Program for IDB, IDB Lab, and IDB Invest will be automatically disqualified.
- Type of contract and modality: Remote Summer Intern hired under Products and External Services Consultant (PEC) modality
- Length of contract: Two months
- Internship date: June 16 to August 15, 2021
- Location: Remote
- Responsible person: Lead Specialist INE/WSA
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative, and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee, you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
We encourage women, afro-descendants, people of indigenous origins, and persons with disabilities to apply.
About us: At the Inter-American Development Bank, we are devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we have been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48 member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills but also are passionate about improving lives.
Accessibility, Logistics, and Expenses: In case of providing services on your post of hire, or an alternate location, the consultant remote intern will be responsible for setting telephone and computer accesses required to provide the services under this Agreement. The consultant remote intern is fully responsible for any expenses incurred for these purposes, such as but not limited to computer, phone lines, and/or network connections. Also, the intern must be accessible to be contacted and respond within a reasonable time frame (1 day) by means of telephone and/or e-mail for matters related to this contract.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.