Climate Change Adaptation Intern
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
The climate change adaptation intern will help Conservation International (CI) to conduct an online training for CI field staff on the monitoring and evaluation of human well-being outcomes resulting from climate change adaptation projects. The intern will help review and adjust existing methodologies to track climate change adaptation benefits (e.g. improvements in water security, health maintenance, coastal protection) resulting from nature-based solutions (conservation, restoration and management of ecosystems). The intern will help organize online training and knowledge materials to be posted on the internal CI's adaptation SharePoint. The intern will also help organize and attend regular meetings with field staff and interns in three CI Country Programs in Asia-Pacific, Americas and Africa. During these online meetings, we will discuss progress and provide technical inputs on the development of specific monitoring systems to monitor climate change adaptation benefits. The intern will have the opportunity to meet Ci staff and contribute to discussions and materials. The intern will also help with a literature review to identify adaptation responses used to address climate-related events (water insecurity, food insecurity, landslides). The intern will benefit from working and interacting with CI staff from multiple locations, and will improve their knowledge on nature-based adaptation actions and on project preparation and monitoring.
Estimated Start Date/End Date: April 1, 2021 – June 30, 2021
- Review and update adaptation knowledge materials for training presentations and internal website (SharePoint)
- Conduct background research and develop methodological and communication materials in collaboration with CI Headquarters and Field staff for monitoring adaptation benefits resulting from nature-based solutions.
- Help organize and attend online meetings with CI field staff and interns from 3 Country Programs to discuss progress on the monitoring and evaluation of adaptation projects (approximately every 2 weeks, when needed).
- Review scientific publications and enter information in a database
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Part-time position. Remote working environment, no travel required. The position requires flexibility with working hours (as the position involves working and meeting with staff from different timezones)
- Current student in a degree program in environmental studies or related field
- The candidate should have some understanding of climate change adaptation, the impacts of climate change on ecosystems, ecosystem services and livelihoods and of adaptation responses. The intern should be familiar with PowerPoint and information sharing platforms, and interested in capacity building and on the monitoring and evaluation of conservation projects. The intern should have excellent organization and follow-through skills to work independently and be prepared to provide his/her perspective and ideas on materials developed. The intern should have knowledge on how to capture information from the literature into a database.
- Experience with the design of knowledge materials and with the translation of scientific information to wide audiences (through PowerPoint and Word documents) is a plus
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2021 (11:49 PM EST)