Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering, plus eight (8) years of related experience acquired either before and/or after licensing as a professional engineer, including two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
Licenses or Certifications:
Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Texas.
- Experience in capital improvement project planning and management including project tracking, preparation of cost analysis, budgets and schedules, negotiating proposals for implementation, and monitoring performance against goals.
- Experience successfully leading a team responsible for projects and monitoring their activities to ensure successful project outcomes.
- Experience in project management and project sponsorship, overseeing projects related to the design, construction, and rehabilitation of wastewater lines.
- Experience successfully interacting with and coordinating the efforts of a variety of individuals, teams, and external departments or groups to meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated experience in planning, organizing, and working with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Experience responding to emergencies outside of normal business hours and managing the staffing of an on-call emergency response schedule.
- Strong technical writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
- Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Provides technical advice and direction to internal and external customers. Manages, coordinates, implements, and/or monitors projects/programs including the review of plans and development proposals for impacts related to project/program. Recommends revisions and permit requirements to mitigate negative impacts of development and assures plans conform to City policies. Resolves conflicts in difficult situations.
- Develops, manages, and/or monitors the budget of projects. Assists in developing, managing, and submitting proposed budget forecast planning for short- and long-term City planning.
- Develops and implements standard operating procedures, policies, codes, and ordinances by applying advanced technical knowledge and applying changes to meet departmental business goals and objectives. Monitors projects for regulatory compliance.
- Develops and evaluates a variety projects, programs, and/or plans. Develops long- and short-term planning/strategies for programs.
- Develops design criteria. Reviews and/or approves plans and specifications, change orders, and estimates.
- Negotiates contract terms, fees, and scope of contract including reviewing monthly progress reports, verifying final quantities and costs, compiling requisite documentation, reviewing change orders, and auditing as-built records. Acts as a liaison among consultants, contractors, subcontractors, manufacturers, fabricators or suppliers, and the City. Negotiates problems of changes, errors, or deficiencies and ensures compliance with project specifications and requirements.
- Attends meetings and conducts presentations to City Council, boards and commissions, and other related agencies. Coordinates and cooperates with other agencies, departments, divisions, and private utilities involved in or affected by project(s).
- Interacts with internal and external customers to assess needs by responding to inquiries from the public and other departments about the process, requirements, and procedures of the development process. Investigates and resolves complaints from the public.
- Reviews and evaluates technical and management audits.
- Develops training and team building programs by determine business needs and scope of work performed by personnel and implementing programs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of supervisory and/or management skills to programs, projects, and personnel.
- Knowledge of diversified and fundamental scientific and civil engineering concepts, phenomena, and relationships and utilizes such changes in solution of theoretical or practical civil engineering problems.
- Knowledge of advanced mathematical techniques such as trigonometry, calculus, and coordinate geometry.
- Knowledge of modern methods, materials, and techniques of assigned discipline.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following disciplines: Civil, Environmental, Structural, Architectural, Mechanical, and/or Electrical engineering terminology and techniques.
- Knowledge of City of Austin budget planning, purchasing, and contract policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of applicability of established engineering principles and methods.
- Knowledge of phases of the plans review and inspections processes.
- Knowledge of preparation of cost estimates and engineering and feasibility reports.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements within the Local and State ordinances and laws.
- Skill in oral and written technical and/or general communication including preparation of written reports.
- Skill in negotiations and handling conflict resolution.
- Ability to rapidly and accurately perform more complex engineering computations, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Ability to communicate and provide direction to peers and assigned personnel.
- Ability to organize, analyze, interpret, and evaluate scientific civil engineering problems and provide practical and cost effective solutions.
- Ability to observe, compare, or monitor objects and data to determine compliance with prescribed operating or safety standards.