Water Management and Adaptation of Agriculture to Climate Change Expert
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Coordination Office for the West Bank and Gaza Strip Programme is currently implementing the project entitled “Water Management and Adaptation of Agriculture to climate change in Northern Gaza” funded by France and the Global Climate Fund. This project seeks to develop a low-emission water management scheme in North-East Gaza Strip to sustain agricultural production and increase the resilience of highly vulnerable populations.
Within the framework of the mentioned project, and under the following activities: (i) “Increase the capacities of farmers and women groups to develop climate resilient agriculture and adaptation of cropping systems”; (ii) “Improve the water user´s governance and efficiency in the use of water”; (iii) “Empower and relieve communities in the context of the conflict in Gaza”, FAO is seeking to hire the current expert, to provide technical leadership to project activities.
The consultant will work under the overall supervision of the Head of Office, the functional and technical supervision of the Head of Programme and the direct administrative supervision of the Field Operations Coordinator.
The consultant shall provide day-to day field advisory, guidance and mentoring support to the farmers to enable them achieving the intended economic and institutional sustainability which will support a smooth and successful achievement of FAO project exit strategy.
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent will devote 5% of working time to perform duties and tasks indicated below specifically in support of project GCP/GAZ/014/MUL.
- Provide technical leadership for project activities addressing increased climate resilience of agriculture and adaptation of cropping systems) including:
- Demonstration Farm establishment and management
- Farmer Field School establishment and management
- Recovered water use in agriculture knowledge transfer programme development and delivery
- Technical guiding materials on climate resilient practices using recovered water elaboration and delivery
- Public awareness campaigns and workshops to promote acceptance of agricultural production using recovered water development and delivery
- Women group capacity building delivery (based on diagnostic delivered under activity 1.2.1)
- In kind and material support for women agricultural production and delivery
- Farmer consultations for the assessment of the conditions of recovery and reclamation of unused land within the irrigable area.
- Support the participatory formulation and implementation of an exit Strategy and Transfer of O&M to Water Users as well as empowering and relieving communities in the context of Gaza.
- Support positive action and raising awareness of women for their integration into the governing bodies of the WUA;
- Engage, guide and facilitate, when required, the work of the required specific technical experts that will be involved in the project’s implementation.
- Prepare, update and monitor detailed workplans, and prepare progress reports and updates on progress on all the activities
- Assist in preparing and keeping up-to-date the detailed workplans for activities in the Gaza Strip, and follow up on their implementation;
- Provide support to M&E in conducting project related M&E including providing timely information on progress of project implementation, performing periodical monitoring visits to collect monitoring information and facilitating access to well-maintained beneficiaries lists as per the standard format as well as providing overall support to the measurement of the project baseline and endline.
- Assist in the identification and selection of local partners to be involved in project implementation;
- Interact with Gaza-based staff of implementing partners and follow up to ensure that all related activities in the Gaza Strip are timely and properly coordinated and implemented;
- Assist in the design and implementation of outreach and beneficiary mobilization activities targeting agribusinesses, cooperatives, farmers and fishers in the Gaza Strip;
- Contribute to preparing technical specifications for the goods, items and services to be procured for Gaza-based activities; gathering data from local suppliers, service providers and contractors in relation to the availability, quality and costs of goods and services in the local market; and to evaluating the capacity of (ex-ante) and quality of work (ex-post) of related suppliers and contractors;
- Liaise with technical staff of relevant governmental and non-governmental institutions to ensure that field activities are consistent with and complementary to other ongoing agricultural projects;
- Contribute to data collection, information gathering, and elaboration of progress reports and other documents in a timely manner;
- Contribute technical inputs to the identification and formulation of new interventions based on needs assessments;
- Support field missions to Gaza by FAO staff, donors and other stakeholders as required;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in agriculture, agricultural economics or closely related fields;
- At least ten years of experience in implementing development and humanitarian projects, community and beneficiary mobilization, and liaising with project stakeholders in the field of agriculture, livestock and fisheries;
- Working knowledge of English and Arabic Languages.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- Experience in drafting technical specifications for the procurement of goods and services, and evaluating supplier performance;
- Experience in documenting and reporting on project activities;
- Computer/word processing and standard office software skills;
- Previous UN system experience is a strong advantage.
- Ability to travel to and within the West Bank and Gaza Strip