Market Development Associate
Job Description and Opportunity
CustomerFirst Renewables’ (CFR) objective is to enable large businesses and institutions to achieve their sustainability goals by addressing the environmental footprint of their energy and water consumption. The Market Development team is focused on enabling CFR to grow its impact by generating client opportunities for its energy and water advisory services. Reporting to the Head of Marketing and working closely with the Business Development Team and Senior Leadership, the Market Development Associate is a highly empowered team member that works diligently and independently to identify and establish client relationships.
As a Market Development Associate, you will lead a set of reinforcing workstreams ranging from market research, to client marketing and pipeline development, client coordination, and reporting. You will develop corporate sustainability, renewable energy and water resiliency know-how, problem solving and communication skills, as well as the ability to use technical and economic models that support client decision-making.
Impact for this role will be evaluated via CFR’s personal development framework, which includes a set of qualitative development areas, and key performance indicators focused on prospecting, networking, client data qualification, readership metrics (web/social media), number of client meetings generated, and overall contribution to securing Professional Services Agreements with new clients.
CFR is proud of its open, inclusive, challenging, and fun workplace culture, which enables us to deliver highly impactful client services. We offer an attractive personal development experience, in a highly skilled, energized, diverse, and empowered team environment. Our compensation package is competitive in the consulting industry and this position provides the opportunity for long-term career development and growth within the organization.
At CFR, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion help us foster a passionate, capable, and fun team—and that they are important drivers of our core value to ‘be the best team.’ In line with our core values, CFR proudly embraces all people regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, veteran status or disability.
Example Job Roles
Reporting and performance tracking
- Track progress on identifying new client opportunities and mapping client contact points
- Manage client pipeline reporting (multiple milestones, from initial identification to contract close)
- Measure progress and effectiveness of client outreach programs (social media, e-newsletter, website, events)
Client opportunity identification and pipeline development
- Generate and maintain universe of client prospects
- Identify, qualify and prioritize target client prospects
- Cultivate and establish relationships with target client opportunities
Market research and content creation
- Research and create value-add content to support individual client outreach, e-newsletter and LinkedIn posts
- Track and share competitive intelligence and developer updates, key industry trends
Client coordination (throughout client sales cycle)
- Manage client correspondence and meeting coordination
- Lead meeting content preparation based on prior research and intelligence gleaned from outreach
- Support selection of internal team; ensure teams are briefed/equipped for client meetings
- Support proposal/RFP writing
- Assist with development of company marketing collateral
- Assist with CFR website maintenance
- Lead conference selection, planning and objective setting
- Manage pre-conference attendee and speaker outreach, and post conference outreach and report out
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree with excellent grades from a challenging undergraduate program
- Three or more years of business development experience engaging with Fortune 500, higher ed institutions
- Passion for sustainability, the energy industry and/or renewables
- Strong sense of ownership/self-motivation; professional and organized with an ability to deliver on tight deadlines in an agile, growth-focused environment
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team in an unstructured and flexible environment
- Strong interpersonal skills with individuals ranging from varied experience levels and backgrounds
- Strong oral and written communication skills; able to communicate complex matter in a simple, concise manner
- Strong and creative problem-solving skills, and comfort completing complex quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Ability to learn quickly, even in areas with limited experience or knowledge
- Honest and fun!
Apply for this Position
CustomerFirst Renewables (CFR) is an independent renewable energy and water resiliency advisory services firm focused on bringing large-scale solutions directly to businesses and institutions. Founded in 2010 by two former McKinsey & Company energy practice partners and headquartered in the Washington DC metro area, CFR has the longest industry track record assisting clients in developing and executing on holistic low/no carbon energy and water resiliency strategies, which integrate smart supply-side solutions with ongoing demand-side strategies. With over 180 years of combined energy, retail and wholesale electricity operations, water processing, executive, and consulting experience, CFR has a unique ability to listen to client needs and apply distinctive problem-solving skills and expertise to implement solutions that create lasting economic, social, and environmental value.