UNOPS Sudan office is scheduled to commence the urban water supply improvement project activities of four Darfur State Capitals, commencing in early 2015. The objective of the planned intervention is to support sustainable and more equitable access to water for the urban communities in targeted State capitals. The project design has 3 components. They are: (i) Management support to the Urban Water Administrations (UWAs), (ii) Development of strategic plans for the selected state capitals, and (iii) Implementation of identified short-term works to improve equitable access to water for the communities in the un-served urban and peri-urban areas. The anticipated project duration is 3 years.
The management support component would include design and implementation of data collection facilities, capacity building of the UWA staff in data collection and analysis, technical advice on maintenance planning, and the preparation of assets and customer information management systems. The development of strategic plans would include the stakeholder mapping and analysis, assessment and identification of key issues, review of the scheme operations and detailed assessment of various engineering and management options to meet the project objectives, and development of conceptual plans and prioritization of the short term works with justification. The implementation of identified short-term works would involve detailed designs, contractor engagement for works implementation and formalizing the service delivery options to ensure project sustainability and equitable access to water by urban and peri-urban communities.
SudanThe UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
The incumbent of the post will be responsible for undertaking the following tasks and deliverables, and report to the UNOPS Project Manager:
- Investigate and report on the available operational data collection capacity, design and implement additional data collection facilities, coach the UWA staff on data analysis, and strengthen the UWAs capacity in application of key performance indicators in the management of organizational performances.
- Develop and implement a data/information management system for maintaining of the UWAs scheme plans, operational data, customer information etc. within a standard suitable to Darfur context
- Provide technical advice and design support on the operations, maintenance and assets replacements of the targeted urban water supply systems
- Coordinate input from project engaged short term consultants and take part in the development of the strategic plans for the selected capital towns to meet the project objectives, and preparation of the works program for the staged implementation.
- Undertake detailed designs of the priority works of the strategic plan, coordinate the procurement process of the works implementation, and manage the works implementation through contractors engagements
- Supervise the monitoring engineers located at each capital city in performing of the UWAs capacity building support tasks and supervising of the project implementation activities.
- Actively engage with the stakeholders to identify key issues and to develop solutions to ensure long term sustainability of the project outcome.
- Prepare baseline data reports, key performance indicator monitoring reports, project highlight reports, progress monitoring reports and represent UNOPS at project stakeholder meetings.
- Lead the project team in data collection and provide cost recovery computation for the four states in close coordination and communication with the UWAs
- Lead the project team and conduct the water balance test and computation in consideration of water demand based on the available data from UWAs and any other relevant sources
- Provide technical input to the socio-economic study and strategic master plan development
- Conduct regular field mission and supervise the project engineers work and performance in each state and provide technical guidance
- Any other duties as assigned by the Project Manager.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Performance monitoring by the Project Manager of the selected individual will be based on the successful completion of assigned tasks/outputs.
- Master’s Degree, preferably in Water Engineering or related discipline is required;
- Bachelor’s Degree in combination with 2 additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree
Minimum 5 years of experience in water supply engineering, including at least 3 years in design of town/urban water supply schemes is required.
- Experience in carrying out institutional management capacity building is desirable.
- Work experience in post-conflict countries with challenging Government institutional environment similar to Darfur situation is desirable.
- Competency and experience in the use of the software packages for the preparation of engineering drawings is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required .
- Knowledge of Arabic language is an advantage.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA 2
Contract duration: 1 year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuildin…