Job Number: 500029 | Vacancy Link
Location: Fiji (Pacific Islands) – MCP
Work Type : Consultancy
**Candidates the applied previously need not re-apply**
Purpose of Assignment:
The WASH in Schools Consultant will play a critical role in the rolling out of the WASH in Schools approach as well as supporting inclusion of WASH in Schools and related aspects such as gender, menstrual hygiene management, children with a disability, climate change and resilience in regional sector standards, guidelines and other tools. The consultant is expected to work closely with other UNICEF Sections (most notably Education) and various government counterparts including the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Health, Water Authorities, National Disaster Management Office (NDMO), UN agencies, regional organizations and NGO’s combined in the Pacific WASH Coalition and National WASH Clusters
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Head of WASH in Suva, Fiji and is expected to carry out the following tasks;
- WASH in Schools; Provide technical support to government partners and local NGOs implementing WASH in Schools programmes
- WASH Sector Coordination; Provide technical support and input to sector groups (regional and local)
- WASH Data and Knowledge Management; Support government and NGO partners in data collection and reporting through Akvo Flow and AKVO RSR and WASHBAT online tool.
- Support Emergency preparedness and response.
A copy of the detailed terms of reference with the full expected roles of this successful consultant can be obtained from the UNICEF Pacific website https://www.unicef.org/pacificislands/ or go to www.unicef.org click on Who We Are > Work With Us > than search Job# 500029 – Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in Schools CONSULTANT
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIALISED KNOWLEDGE/COMPETENCE REQUIRED FOR THIS CONSULTANCY
Degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance;
Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development are considered an asset;
Additional training and experience in emergency/humanitarian response, preparedness and capacity building on disaster and climate risk resilience is considered an asset.
Three to Five years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization, national government or the private sector;
Familiarity with Pacific WASH Sector partners and programmes;
Experience on WASH in Schools programmes focusing on hygiene behavior improvements;
Experience on WASH Resilience and Drinking Water Safety and Security Planning
Background/familiarity with Emergency (preparedness and response) and the WASH Cluster approach;
Methodology of programme/project management;
Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNICEF positions and approaches.
Fluency in English and knowledge of the Fijian or Hindi or other Pacific languages is an asset.
· Knowledge of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene areas of UNICEF’s programme.
· Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in the following areas: WASH in schools, water supply project management, monitoring and evaluation, integrated water resource management, water supply and sanitation technologies, humanitarian, climate change/climate resilience, and community based water supply and sanitation.
TYPE OF CONTRACT:
This consultancy is for a duration of 8 months requiring full time support to the Programme.
Interested candidates must submit the following documents with their application in order to be considered
A cover letter describing how you meet each of the requirements listed above (max. 2 pages)
Updated CV and completed UN Personal History Form (P11)
- The consultancy is at a P1-P2 level in your financial and technical proposal please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 23 Jan 2017 Fiji Standard Time
Closing Date 26 Jan 2017 Fiji Standard Time