Special Advisor (Natural Capital in African Development Finance)
The Green Growth Knowledge Partnership (GGKP), the African Development Bank (AfDB) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) have joined with the MAVA Economics for Nature (E4N) team to implement a two-year program entitled ‘Mainstreaming Natural Capital in African Development Finance’ (hereinafter referred to as the “Program”).
The Program lays the foundation for natural capital-based green economies (NCbGEs) in Africa by mainstreaming natural capital in AfDB’s development finance operations and its technical support to Regional Member Countries. The Program takes an applied, co-creative approach in four workstreams with significant opportunities for high-level impact:
- Integrating natural capital in African infrastructure finance
- Developing a business case for natural capital among development finance institutions
- Integrating natural capital in African sovereign credit ratings
- Building capacity for natural capital accounting and assessment in Africa
The AfDB has prioritized these workstreams in co-development with the GGKP since November 2017. The workstreams are the building blocks for gaining internal support, momentum and capacity at AfDB and in Africa to mainstream natural capital in development finance on the march ahead to achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The Program entails both global and on-site components. These components are coordinated through a Joint Implementation Committee (JIC) drawn from key partners, which include WWF. Since 2011 WWF has been working with the AfDB based on a Memorandum of Understanding between the two organizations and they have jointly carried out several projects including the African Ecological Futures initiative. WWF through its Regional Office for Africa (ROA) is responsible for implementing specific on-site advisory and knowledge generation aspects of the Program. WWF’s contribution is hereinafter referred to as the “Project”.
WWF is seeking to recruit a consultant to fill the position of Special Advisor on Natural Capital in African Development Finance. The Special Advisor will be principally responsible for generating advice and advocating for the application of natural capital approaches in African development finance, including through the AfDB’s support to Regional Member Countries and its infrastructure finance operations. The Special Advisor will also play a key role in coordinating the WWF’s delivery of on-site advocacy and knowledge generation activities with other key components of the Program in coordination with leading partners under the JIC.
- OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The objective of the position is to have a dedicated consultant in place at AfDB headquarters to generate advice and advocate for natural capital approaches in African development finance, and to support the implementation of the Project on a day to day basis. The Special Advisor shall work full time and report directly to the WWF Policy & Partnership Manager for Africa. The Special Advisor is equally expected to work closely with the AfDB and GGKP designated focal persons and others as necessary to fulfil the duties of the post.
- MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Special Advisor is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Policy advisory on natural capital approaches through knowledge generation
- Advocacy on natural capital approaches to AfDB officials and policymakers in Africa
- Coordination of the implementation of Project activities
- Information Management and Communication
- Technical Support and Capacity Building
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Other duties and responsibilities as required
More specifically, the Special Advisor will:
- Advocate for the mainstreaming of natural capital approaches, including natural capital assessments and accounting, in African development finance and in particular the lending activities of the AfDB and the infrastructure projects of its Regional Member Countries, through knowledge generation and inter-institutional collaboration;
- Coordinate the preparation of policy briefs, reports and other knowledge products in collaboration with hired consultants and experts from the AfDB, GGKP, WWF and other project partners;
- Develop a project implementation plan in coordination with WWF, AfDB and GGKP, assist and ensure timely procurement of consultants under the Project, support the preparation of all documents and reports on the delivery of the Project (financial, technical and M&E reports) in accordance with the provisions of the Grant Agreement;
- Coordinate and monitor in-country activities under the project by national partners and stakeholders in selected African countries;
- Coordinate and follow up on the periodic Joint Implementation Committee meetings to review the progress of the Project’s implementation, provide policy and strategic advice to the JIC on Mainstreaming Natural Capital in African Development Finance and related issues and take lead in organizing all meetings/workshops/webinars/trainings with the implementing partners and stakeholders;
- Prepare communications materials with support from the project communication team on the project for different target audiences and update the same on the project website as required and in coordination with AfDB, WWF and GGKP, interact with media and support efforts to raise awareness of the project by disseminating stories and products thereof;
- Develop enabling communications materials for fund raising efforts and packaging these for the different donors; and
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned by the Project Supervisor.
- DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The assignment will last for twenty (20) months calendar starting in mid-February 2021.
- SELECTION CRITERIA
The position requires skills in policy advocacy to bring about the desired changes in the awareness and use of natural capital approaches in African development finance. It further requires specific experience in project management, policy advisory and analysis.
Qualifications at this level include a postgraduate degree and relevant experience commensurate with the job.
- Minimum of a Masters’ degree in (environmental) economics, natural resources management, conservation, ecology or a related discipline.
- Experience with natural capital science and/or accounting and related projects and initiatives;
- More than 5 years of experience in policy advisory, project management and policy advocacy in one or more of the above-mentioned or related fields.
- Demonstrated experience in providing policy advice to influence decision-making on sustainable natural resource management and/or natural resource conservation in Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in building and managing partnerships (Government, NGOs, Donors, Civil Society, Private Sector) would be a strong asset.
- Knowledge of the institutional and legal framework of the AfDB or other development finance institutions.
- Experience of working and living in Africa or other developing regions.
- Strong advocacy and lobbying skills
- For this post, fluency in spoken and written English is required and additional fluency in French would be a plus.
- Passion and commitment for conservation and sustainable development;
Required Skills and Competencies
- Advanced analytical skills and ability to tackle critical situations;
- Strong report writing skills, with demonstrated ability to synthesize data and information into high-quality, influential knowledge products;
- Excellent inter-personal skills, including the ability to work with multi-cultural teams, be proactive and build strategic relationships for project delivery.
- Strong background in diplomacy and strategic sense and ability to think on their feet in pressure situations
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Competence in using Microsoft Office Suite and Internet applications. Knowledge of statistical and econometric software is an advantage.
- SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION:
Send a cover letter to Durrel Nzene Halleson (Policy & Partnership Manager, Africa) firstname.lastname@example.org highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Special advisor _NatCap.
Qualified candidates should send their CV no later than 15th January 2021, 1800hrs EAT, indicating “Special Advisor” in the Subject line of the email. The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Any applications received after the deadline will not be considered