Water Resource Specialist
Boulder County Parks and Open Space (BCPOS) is hiring a Water Resource Specialist. Under the supervision of the Program Supervisor, the Water Resource Specialist assists with providing for the management and representation of BCPOS water rights. In coordination with other Water Resources staff, this position is responsible for technical water rights work, implementation of programs, project coordination and oversight, and other facets of water rights management. This position will serve as an inter-departmental representative of the Agricultural Resources Division and the Water Resource Program and work collaboratively with department staff across all disciplines for the protection and use of the County's water rights interests.
The Water Resource Program and the Specialist position are part of the Agricultural Resources Division of Boulder County Parks & Open Space. The Division provides for the stewardship of 25,000 acres of Boulder County's agricultural land by leasing to private farmers and ranchers. This position revolves around the management, preservation and protection of water rights associated with 13,000 acres of irrigated agricultural land under lease. In addition to the agricultural use of our water rights, water is applied to environmental values and resources that the POS Department manages for as well.
Tentative Hiring Process Timeline:
• Phone Interviews – 1/15/2021
• Oral Board Interviews – Third week of January
• Pre – employment physical – Fourth week of January
• Start date – Early February 2021
This is a full-time, benefitted position with Boulder County
Work hours are Monday - Friday from 8:00 am - 4:30pm., with some flexibility; occasional evening and weekend meetings required.
Under FLSA guidelines, this position is Exempt.
Boulder County requires its employees to reside in the state of Colorado as of the first day of work.
Hiring Salary Range: $54,024.00 - $60,775 Annually
Classification Salary Range: $54,024.00 - $77,796.00 Annually
- Examples of Duties
- Coordinate with water resources staff to implement and expand existing programs
- Assist in the development and administration of the county’s water rights including water rights review and research, conducting analyses, and overseeing compliance with state rules and regulations
- Provide technical support and assistance on the development, review, and implementation of water rights studies and water rights litigation.
- Assist in the development of Standard Operating Procedures, policies, and programs
- Serve as a water resource representative on interdepartmental project teams including flood restoration projects, capital improvement projects, and management planning
- Assist in the representation of the County's water rights interests on ditch company boards and water user groups and serve as a liaison to the Colorado Division of Water Resources, irrigation companies, municipalities, agricultural tenants, and other federal, state, and local agencies
- Write contracts, solicit bids, and provide project oversight on large scale water infrastructure projects
- Coordinate water delivery activities with tenants, ditch companies, water commissioner, and water users to ensure water rights are properly exercised
- Research and initiate water use agreements with local municipalities and user groups
- Assist in the development and oversight of management plans for dams and reservoirs
- Provide QA/QC for water use accounting, dam maintenance and monitoring, and water quality permit compliance and work closely with staff to develop strategies for improvements where necessary
- Respond to internal and external water related inquiries and issues throughout the County
- Work with agriculture staff on all aspects of application and management of irrigation water and systems
- Assist with field work including but not limited to ditch and reservoir maintenance, infrastructure installation, measure and record water use, surveying, and emergency flood control
- Perform other related duties, as required
May be reassigned during emergency situations
- Required Qualifications
PLEASE NOTE: When submitting your application be sure to include all relevant education and experience, as applications are screened based on the qualifications listed in this position announcement. Applications that do not appear to meet minimum qualifications, as outlined below, will not be considered. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of completed applications.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
Boulder County is looking for well-qualified candidates to fill our positions. Any combination of relevant education and experience is encouraged. In this position, we are looking for 6 years of combined education and experience. Education can include degrees in water resources, agriculture or related natural resources field and related experience is in water resources.
- Possession of and ability to maintain a valid driver's license and good driving record
- Applicants must pass a pre-employment physical
- Applicants must include a cover letter letting us know why they are interested in the position
- Supplemental Information
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Strong sense of judgement and high degree of discretion and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starting attitude
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to interact professionally and cooperatively with co-workers, agencies, ditch companies, tenants, and the general public
- Ability to quickly acquaint oneself with our water portfolio and our agricultural lands and ecosystem assets
- Willingness to prioritize the needs of the program and be flexible to a changing workload
- Willingness to perform physical outdoor work
Boulder County is a family-friendly workplace dedicated to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and respectful environment for all employees. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants and employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
- Strong sense of judgement and high degree of discretion and