Background of this search:
The Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA) is looking for a Consultant in Water Security with a background in water engineering, environmental science, or natural resource management.
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) provides financial and technical support for infrastructure projects in water and sanitation, irrigation, flood control, transportation, and energy. Many of these projects depend on water resources and can be negatively affected by local and regional changes in development variables that alter water availability, such as climate, population growth, and changes in associated land use to urbanization, industrial growth, and agriculture.
In this context, the Bank is supporting Colombia in promoting sustainable water and sanitation services from the circular economy of water perspective through the Technical Cooperation (TC) Project for the Integral Development of Water and Sanitation Utilities in Colombia (CO-T1457). The main activities under this TC are (i) assessment of public water and sanitation services for the urban population through the AquaRating system; (ii) development of strategic plans and technical proposals for water security; (iii) implementation of the technical proposals, (iv) certification system for sustainable services for W&S; and (v) dialogue and sectorial capacity strengthening.
The Consultant will be participating in the water resource team of the Division, supporting the agendas of Water Security, transboundary basins, integrated basin management, Water-Energy-Food Nexus, and Water Funds. These agendas aim at improving the sustainability of the water management of the region by mainstreaming principles of circular economy in the water sector in the LAC region, promoting efficient use of water resources, strengthening ecosystems and biodiversity, increasing resilience to climate change, and fostering effective governance by promoting integrated basin management across water users and sectors. These agendas rely on different state-of-the-art analytical and operational tools, including for example water system modeling, and basin governance based on payments for ecosystem services.
The consultant will support the WSA’s Water Resources team, with a focus on Water Security, Nexus and International Waters agendas by:
- Provide technical support to WSA in its operational and analytic activities.
- Participate in identification, preparation, and analysis of financing requests for projects (loans and technical assistance).
- Assist in monitoring projects implementation, including support to executing agencies and to project teams in supervision missions in the mentioned areas.
- Establish and maintain a close relationship with executing agencies, authorities, and other public and private entities in client countries, assisting and providing guidance on Bank’s policies and procedures.
- Participate in project evaluation and impact assessments.
- Participate in the identification, preparation, and assessment of sector studies, guidelines/notes, tools, and strategies addressing engineering and environmental aspects.
- Preparation of TORs, technical notes, presentations and any other required technical material
- Participating in Banks’ led missions for project design or implementation as well as to attend and participate in Sectorial Regional and Global events.
- Technical quality control of technical cooperation products and studies.
Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
Education: You have obtained a master’s or equivalent degree from an accredited university in a subject relevant to the outlines activities (engineer, natural resource management; environmental sciences; economics). Ph.D. will not be required but will be highly valued for this position.
Experience: At least 8 years of professional experience and at least two years of professional experience in business related to WSA.
Languages: You are fluent in English and Spanish. Fluency in Portuguese will be a plus.
Core and Technical Competencies: You are familiar with water modeling tools, and the concepts of water security, food water land nexus, integrated basin management, circular economy in the water sector.
- Type of contract and modality: Full time Consultant
- Length of contract: 12 months
- Starting date: February 2021.
- Location: IDB Headquarters in Washington, DC
- Responsible person: Water and Sanitation Sr. Specialist (INE/WSA).
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, afro-descendants, and indigenous people to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
“Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.”