POSITION TITLE: Technical Manager for Oil
DEPARTMENT: Petroleum Compliance Office
LOCATION: Saipan, Northern Marianas Islands, USA
ANNUAL SALARY: $56,439.00 to $96,657.60 per annum, Exempt
POSITION(S): One (1)
The Commonwealth Utilities Corporation (“CUC”) is seeking for a qualified Technical Manager for Oil (“TMO”). CUC is a public utility corporation located on the island of Saipan in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI)—a United States territory in the northwestern Pacific Ocean.
Reporting directly to CUC’s Executive Director (ED) or designee, Technical Manager for Oil (TMO) fills a position required by the Stipulated Order (SO) of the United States of America vs. the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands, Civil Case No. CV 08-0051.
The incumbent will be under the direct supervision of the Executive Director or his/her designee.
- He/she is responsible for Environmental, Health, Safety, and Security compliance at the CUC facilities.
- The Technical Manager for Oil will have authority to make decisions for management and operations of the oil related items required by the Stipulated Order and will be primarily responsible for assisting the Executive Director in overseeing all environmental assessment and cleanup projects, all oil spill prevention initiatives, preparedness and response operations and compliance activities and deliverables, on a daily basis as required by the Stipulated Order.
- The TMO shall be the person responsible for maintaining regular contact with staff and contractors regarding Section 311CWA compliance issues and will support the Executive Director in management and operations decisions for the oil related items required by the Stipulated Order.
- Supervises staff to include: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- The Technical Manager for Oil further develops and executes programs to ensure effective identification and management of the Environmental, Health, Safety, and Security risks posed by CUC’s Operations and businesses, as well as seeking opportunities to deliver both operational integrity and wider benefits to CUC via sustainability initiatives.
- The post holder is expected to enhance the management of risk in the CUC business stream and working with the Management team, use appropriate leadership processes and behaviors to mitigate risk.
- The role will encompass the implementation of EHSS programs including training, raising awareness, managing audits, reporting CUC EHSS compliance, providing technical expertise and support to CUC Management team as required.
- The TMO will be in-charge of training, enforcement and in operational issues having to do with environmental, health, safety, and security compliance.
- Other duties of a similar nature or level as assigned or required.
Successful candidates for CUC’s Technical Manager for Oil must have the following:
Education: Completion of four (4) years of college, or its equivalent, with major work in engineering, science, industrial hygiene, or other field related to work with project management and/or environmental compliance, an one (1) to three (3) years of experience with oil spill prevention, preparedness and response, environmental assessment, construction oversight or power plant operations. Applicant must have an exceptional knowledge of U.S. Environmental laws and regulations pertaining to oil; knowledge and understanding of the contracting process. Good skills and experience working with regulators such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and U.S. Coast Guard.
In addition the Technical Manager for Oil must demonstrate the following: Proven management and communication skills, demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and develop staff in the realm of health, safety, security and environmental awareness, experience with managing environmental and/or construction projects during periods of planning, design and construction. Further, the TMO should have experience with the following: oil, oily water, water sampling and testing, International Air Transport Association (IATA) certified to ship petroleum samples, oil storage, use, transportation and disposal; assessment and cleanup of contaminated sites; environmental compliance; development of statement of work, oversight of contractors; staff training and development; and federal oil spill prevention, preparedness and response requirements. Further the TMO shall have the experience in conducting various training seminars, and recordkeeping for training and deferral compliance.
Knowledge of: Leadership principles; Supervisory principles; Strategic planning principles; Budgetary principles; Project management principles; Applicable laws, rules and regulations.
Skills in: Monitoring and evaluating staff; Prioritizing and assigning work to staff; Preparing and administering budgets; Developing and administering strategic plans; Managing large, complex projects; Giving presentations; Preparing technical reports; Using computers and related software applications; Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Valid CNMI Driver’s License with appropriate class.
- A Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator’s Certification is desired, but not mandatory.
If hired from outside the CNMI, relocation expenses are negotiable; but they are not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving to Saipan and not to exceed $5,000.00 for moving away from Saipan. Receipts will be required for justification. Other conditions may be applicable.
All applicants may be tested and all applicants are subject to pre-employment drug test.
How to Apply: Submit a completed CUC Employment Application, resume, and applicable supporting documents to the CUC Human Resources office located on the 3rd Floor of the Joeten Dandan Building on Saipan, Monday through Friday 7:30 am – 4:30 pm (Except Legal Holidays). Applicants on the island of Tinian and Rota may submit their documents to their respective CUC Administration office. Application, resume and supporting documents can also be e-mailed to: [email protected]