The Land and Water Division aims at enhancing the agricultural productivity and advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through their improved tenure, management, development and conservation. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future demands for agricultural products, while ensuring the long-term sustainability of the land and water quantity and quality. It promotes equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, livelihoods and ecosystem services. It provides assistance to member nations in developing policies, programmes, best practices and tools in the fields of irrigation and drainage, soil conservation, drought mitigation, water rights, access to natural resources, and improvement of land markets.
The post is located in the Rome, Italy.
The Land and Water Officer reports to the Chief Technical Advisor, under the overall guidance of the Director of the Land and Water Division.
The incumbent will plan and coordinate implementation of the project ‘Monitoring land and water productivity by Remote Sensing (WaPOR phase 2)’, ensuring that the outputs and products are delivered as described in the project’s result framework.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of Division programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with divisional objectives.
• Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in Organization-wide, cross-committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, online tools;
• Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Leads the overall project management and implementation, and ensures that the project is implemented in accordance with (i) its objectives as set out in the project documents and agreement with the donor; and (ii) FAO’s Strategic Objectives;
• Supports the technical work of the project and coordinates the development of the project monitoring and evaluation (M-E) framework and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases, to support the planning, implementation and delivery of the project activities;
• Contributes technical inputs for the review and update of the methodology;
• Responds to countries requests for technical assistance on the use of WaPOR database and related tools;
• Coordinates inception phase activities of the project to ensure alignment between priorities of FAO programmes in project countries and project activities;
• Plans implementation of project activities and ensures smooth coordination with project partners and within project team;
• Contributes awareness raising and visibility of the project, ensures stakeholders engagement and supports resource mobilization efforts.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in agriculture, hydrology, geography, natural resources management, environmental sciences, or a related field;
• Seven years of relevant experience in land and water resources assessment, application of spatial analysis and remote sensing in water accounting and water productivity, with proven record of project coordination;
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable;
• Extent and relevance of experience in coordinating international projects and relevant partnerships;
• Extent and relevance of experience in RS/GIS application to land and water productivity assessment;
• Extent and relevance of experience in water accounting and auditing;
• Extent and relevance of experience in analysing the potential for improving agricultural water productivity in the project area of interest (Africa and the Near East) is highly desirable;
• Depth of understanding of options and challenges for monitoring crop water productivity;
• Extent of knowledge of FAO approaches for monitoring irrigation water use at different scales of analysis is considered a strong asset;
• Demonstrated experience to mobilize resources.