We are currently seeking a Senior Research Associate in the field of Science-based Climate Change Strategies to expand our science unit. You will be part of our Science-Implementation Interface, working closely with colleagues from the Science and Implementation Strategies Teams to make sure the best available science is useful for strategy development and ensuring that knowledge gaps are filled with tailored and cutting edge science products. Your strong skills in quantitative and qualitative research methods as well as your excellent transdisciplinary communication skills and team-work bridge between the world of science and implementation. You have a keen interest in strategy development and robust implementation while continuing to strive for scientific excellence developing applicable, but cutting-edge science output. As part of an international team with colleagues in Berlin, (West-)Africa, and Small Island States in the Pacific and Caribbean, you have an exciting work environment that provides interdisciplinary and international insights into the broad range of climate-related topics that Climate Analytics covers.
The position is preferably based in our offices in Lomé, Togo, and requires frequent regional and international travel.
- Lead Climate Analytics’ regional scientific work in West Africa, coordinating closely with scientific staff across regions and further developing the interface between the Science and Implementation Teams
- Contribute to the global efforts of providing scientific tools and information for climate change strategy development and implementation
- Design, manage and implement quantitative relevant research and analytical projects in close collaboration with internal and external experts in areas of high priority for the region, in line with Climate Analytics’ mission and portfolio of projects
- Develop, maintain and contribute to regional (scientific) networks to facilitate the co-development process of project proposals either in adaptation or mitigation and the facilitation of stakeholder consultations
- Coordination of scientific aspects of the IMPACT project in the West African region
- Collaborate closely with other experts in IMPACT project regions to support scientific capacity-building strategies
- Contribute to the planning, implementation, and facilitation of IMPACT project regional workshops
- Writing of scientific publications, reports, work papers, and other information material in collaboration with regional experts
- Support the overall development of scientific capacity and science-based approaches through relevant skills transfer activities in partner institutions in the region
- Actively engage in other on-going projects, support project development and growing the portfolio of projects in West Africa as well as contribute to the success of the overall mission of Climate Analytics
You ideally have the following qualifications and skills:
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of research experience, preferably more, in policy-relevant climate mitigation, adaptation, or development-related research
- A Ph.D. in economics, development in the area of climate change adaptation and mitigation or a related field is preferred, but comparable qualifications will also be considered
- Thorough understanding of and experience in the international climate change debate and institutional structure
- Experience with inter-and trans-disciplinary work and a profound interest in understanding major challenges for development resulting from climate change
- Interest in co-development approaches and collaboration with non-scientific actors (e.g. policy-makers, regional stakeholders)
- Experience in and/or willingness to working with stakeholders in government and the private sector, especially financial institutions in mainstreaming climate change into their operations and processes (analysing climate risks, establishing climate vulnerability profiles for client countries, and assessing climate change and environment strategies, etc.)
- Experience in planning and conducting participatory research is an asset
A well-developed sense for teamwork, excellent networking skills, and ability to interact with a diverse array of people
- Experience in project development and management and team coordination are an advantage
- Willingness to travel regionally and internationally is required
- Excellent English and French writing and verbal skills are a requirement; German language skills are welcome, but not required.
- A job with purpose. With us, you will work in a team of engaged people, and with your skills you can make a positive contribution to our work in the field of climate change.
- We offer insights into the international climate change negotiations and our support work for the SIDS and LDCs.
Application Deadline: 3 January 2021
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: preferably Lomé, Togo, or West Africa
Terms: Fixed term contract until 31.01.2022 with the possibility of extension depending on performance and funding
Requirements: existing work permit for Togo or West Africa
Please apply with your CV, cover letter, and a list of three referees in PDF format by 3 January and indicate in your cover letter your earliest start date and your salary expectations.
Please apply exclusively using the application form. Applications by email or by post can unfortunately not be processed.
For further information send your questions via email to [email protected].