Are you passionate about crafting novel, innovative machine learning solutions to challenging and meaningful problems?
Do you take pride in contributing to groundbreaking science and solving our world’s climate change problems?
Do you thrive in an interdisciplinary, collaborative, and creative environment?
If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking an Environmental Data Science Post-Doctoral Researcher for the Artificial Intelligence Group in the Research & Exploratory Development Department at APL to help us invent the future of intelligent systems and bring research from concept to reality. We are a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers committed to pioneering research in the areas of data science, machine learning, neuroscience, and robotics and envisioning how those technologies can be used to make the world a safer place. We want someone who is highly skilled and motivated to support research projects and explore new opportunities for using these technologies to address climate change and mitigate its impact on national security.
As an Environmental Data Science Post-Doctoral Researcher…
- Your primary responsibility will be to conduct novel research in the areas of data science and machine learning to understand, mitigate, and adapt to the rapidly changing environment.
- You will propose novel projects, write and present technical papers, and present your work at conferences.
- You will provide technical leadership and vision for multidisciplinary research teams to apply cutting-edge research in Intelligent Systems to Environmental problems.
- You will lead and collaborate on technical proposals to grow and define machine learning and computer vision research in Intelligent Systems.
- You will regularly publish and present your research findings to internal and external audiences, which include management, technical communities of practice, sponsors, and external collaborators in industry, academia, and government.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Have a Ph.D. in a subject area related to Data Science (e.g., Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or Engineering) or Environmental Sciences (e.g., Oceanography, Atmospheric Sciences, Earth Sciences, Hydrology, Environmental Engineering, Agricultural Science, etc.).
- Have experience using machine learning to analyze environmental data sets or models, e.g. Earth systems (e.g. oceanography, atmospheric sciences), power, water, food, sensor systems, and ecological restoration.
- Have excellent communication skills and work well in a collaborative environment.
- Are proficient in Python, Java, Matlab, R, or another tool used for scientific data analysis.
- The ability to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You meet our desired qualifications if you…
- Have experience working with an interdisciplinary team.
- Have experience in business development, writing technical proposals, or pitching new research programs to government agencies.
- Have experience working with other artificial intelligence technologies, including computer vision, reinforcement learning, neural networks, natural language processing, robotic control, or high performance computing clusters.
Special Working Conditions
- Some travel to conferences, local sponsor sites, or support for field testing may be required.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.