Job Title: Project Manager – Sector Influence
Reports to: Head of Programming
Department: Programming- Health and WASH
Salary Grade: 9
Location: Accra, Ghana
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief work is accomplished through programs of emergency response and development. CRS has been in Ghana since 1958 working in the sectors of Health, Agriculture, Peacebuilding, WASH, Microfinance and Education. CRS Ghana’s Health and WASH projects seek to improve the health and wellbeing of women, men and children, using behavior change communication and service improvements at households, schools, and healthcare facilities to eliminate maternal and newborn morbidity/mortality, eliminate open defecation, increase safe water access and use, and improve hygiene practices.
With the aid landscape shifting in Ghana, and in alignment with the Agency’s Vision 2030, CRS seeks to invest in Sector Influence planning and strategic communications with the goal of building and strengthening strategic partnerships and alliances, as well as promoting CRS’ contributions to the development of Ghana.
CRS Ghana seeks a Project Manager to lead in Sector Influence at the sub-national and national levels. She/he will be responsible for coordinating the implementation of Health and WASH advocacy, governance, policy direction and adoption/scale-up of CRS’ proven and evidence-based models and interventions. The Country Program’s Health and WASH programs strategically build partnerships with key stakeholders to address Health and WASH through systems strengthening approaches, address water security challenges, and develop source water protection initiatives using Nature-Based Solutions. The Project Manager will also support additional sector influence plans for the Country Program’s priority sectors including agriculture, youth, peacebuilding and migration, when require.
Working in close collaboration with CRS’ program staff and management team, the Project Manager will lead in stakeholder engagements, partnership development and cooperation with the private, public and multilateral sectors in Ghana, networking and information sharing to assist the achievement of project objectives and to advance CRS’ overall mission in serving the poor and vulnerable.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Design, implement, and lead the Sector Influence Plans and related advocacy activities at sub-national and national levels with quantifiable results
- Stay informed of initiatives and programmatic directions to represent CRS at the national level and within relevant networks on matters related to Health, WASH and other priority sector programming
- Participate in internal and external learning and networking events relevant to programming priorities
- Provide program teams with guidance and updates on policy, standards, and guidelines relating to Health and WASH programming
- Support knowledge management and documentation of CRS Health and WASH programming case studies, success stories, best practices, and emerging models and develop high-level marketing documents with support from the Communications Officer
- Facilitate and oversee the dissemination of best practices and lessons learned from local project sites, high profile visits, as well as at the national-level to increase CRS’ visibility
- Assist project staff to craft strategic messages about programs for a variety of targeted audiences and build their capacities at utilizing these messages in diverse settings, from meetings and publications to events
- Contribute to active partnership development and cooperation with other organizations through linkages with sector stakeholders
- Network with Government and other agencies to foster synergies, information sharing, adoption and scale up of CRS health and WASH model interventions
- Participate in the development of concept papers and proposals for mobilization of additional resources
- Improve CRS’ accountability to project stakeholders through increased participation, transparent communication, responsive feedback mechanisms, and adherence to internal and external quality standards, controls, and requirements
- Perform any other roles and support other programming sectors as may be assigned by the Head of Programming, Senior Leadership Team, Regional Technical Advisors, or Country Management.
Required Languages – Fluency in English required
Travel – Must be willing and able to travel up to 30%
- Master’s Degree in Advocacy (on Health and/or WASH) and or Public Relations, Public Policy, Public Health and Communications or any other relevant field.
- Minimum five years of work experience in advocacy and governance-related roles in development work, especially on Health and/or WASH.
- Demonstrated ability in project management, particularly the execution of strategic plans
- Additional experience may substitute for some education
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Self-motivated, proactive, and able to work without close supervision
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and timeliness in executing assigned responsibilities
- Quick learner, agile, flexible, adaptable to different organizational cultures
- Diplomatic; able to manage conflict and move groups toward consensus
- High-level experience with evidence-based advocacy initiatives in relevant professional areas
- Relevant government network for policy influencing/advocacy
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills with ability to make sound judgment
- Demonstrated strengths in relationship management; and the ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders (think-tanks, national governments, international fora)
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: No direct supervisory role.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Country Representative, Head of Programs, Technical Lead for Health, WASH Program Manager, Business Development Specialist, Program Managers, Finance Manager, Senior/Regional Technical Advisors: Water Environment & Sanitation (WES), Regional Information Officer
External: Relevant Government Ministries: Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Sanitation and Water Resources, Ministry for Local Government and Rural Development, Ministries of Education and Health, Ghana Education Service, Ghana Health Services, Regional Coordination Councils, District Planning and Coordinating Units of the District Assemblies, and Development Partners, CONIWAS, CHAG, Caritas, etc.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CRS’ emphasis on family values supports benefits, including maternity and paternity leave, policies that promote exclusive breastfeeding, the availability of a baby room at the office, and flexible working hours where possible.