World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, non-profit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. Our work focuses on building sustainable and livable cities and working towards a low carbon economy. Through research, analysis, and recommendations, World Resources Institute puts ideas into action to build transformative solutions to protect the earth, promote livelihoods, and enhance human well-being.
WRI India has the capacity to convene key stakeholders, and forge strategic partnerships with governments, business, foundations, civil society organizations, institutes and NGOs, to scale-up solutions that can bring game-changing results for the sustainable management of natural resources in India.
Program Overview for Sustainable Cities and Transport
At WRI India Ross Center we focus on 10 integrated solutions to urban challenges. Through applied research, tools, hands-on advice, and by tapping our network of global experts, we accelerate transformative urban initiatives that have the power to change Indian cities into thriving, equitable and low-carbon places that are good for people and the planet.
Working at WRI India Ross Center offers you the unique opportunity to learn and grow as you collaborate with a diverse set of change agents across Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. As India’s biggest urban focused think and do tank, we seek thoughtful, enterprise-minded and sensitive individuals who can help us support this transformation and make a positive difference to citizens’ everyday lives.
The Person We Are Looking For
WRI is seeking a creative and multi-talented candidate for the position of Manager – Urban Water to work closely on various projects and research assignments that the Urban Water practice of WRI India is/ will be involved in. Reporting to the Director – Urban Water, you will lead projects and research work that will solve critical urban water challenges in India such as improving citywide inclusive and resilient access to WASH service provisioning, water sensitive urban development, rejuvenation of urban blue-green spaces, urban water resilience, onsite implementation of Nature-based Solutions/ Blue-Green Infrastructure/ WASH projects etc. The projects will include working with governments, professionals, private sector, civic groups and other stakeholders on solving the problems in a city and can be scaled-up in other contexts. You will consider issues of sustainable development, around socio-economic and environmental well-being of the people as basic approach to solve the problems.
The candidate should be passionate about solving urban water challenges and self-driven towards influencing positive changes in the real world. The candidate will be involved in leading the work on assigned projects related to WASH service provisioning, water sensitive urban development, rejuvenation of urban blue-green spaces, urban water resilience, onsite implementation of Nature-based Solutions/ Blue-Green Infrastructure/ WASH projects etc. This will include conducting research, liaising with partners, government agencies and experts, undertaking analysis and synthesise solutions towards project deliverables and on-site project implementation. The candidate should have deep understanding of the local context and should help in identifying impactful positive changes that need to be achieved in the context of current urbanization. The candidate should be hands-on and equally good in conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis, prepare clearly written reports and communication material. The candidate should be energetic and agile, willing to respond quickly, outcome-oriented, team player, willing to travel at short notice and able to engage with partners and stakeholders. The candidate will also assist the Urban Water practice in identifying opportunities, levers and set the agenda in the cities of engagement, across other projects or program as relevant. The candidate should have right attitude and passion for developing new funding partners, writing great proposals in short notice, interacting with internal and external stakeholders on regular basis etc.
- Manage and lead all the project deliverables related work as per standards and expectations of WRI India.
- Prepare technical documents for projects including data collection, conduct surveys, compilation, analysis, write reports and develop presentations.
- Coordinate with State and Local government agencies, private companies, local communities, experts, NGOs, partners etc. to get inputs for projects.
- Edit reports, prepare drawings, general graphics and infographics, etc.
- Support WRI India in identifying and undertaking new research areas and projects related to urban development as required by the team.
- Coordination with individual consortium partners and internal and external stakeholders
- Monitoring and managing resources and expenses.
- Review and approval of all outputs released.
- Up-to-date project documentation, open for inspection by Grantor or any other appropriate stakeholders
- Identify research gaps, cultivate ideas and author or co-author knowledge products (e.g., reports, briefs, data-products)
- Liaise with experts in India, global experts, and researchers to facilitate development of high quality research
- Lead development of process guides, toolkits and or support adapt existing ones
- Incorporate and support attention to gender, disability and social inclusion in all project and research assignments
Communication, Outreach and Engagement
- Communicate closely with WRI India internal team members towards meeting objectives of the project and constant progress reporting.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings regarding projects, make presentations and assist in conducting stakeholder consultations.
- Contribute to internal and external communications and media such as blogs, articles, brochures and web content.
- Produce material to communicate Urban Water work in India and globally, including analytical content to non-technical audiences, media, and existing and prospective funders
- Attend and present work at national and international workshops, conferences, seminars as necessary
- Design and hold periodic seminars for capacity building and solicit input and feedback on the same.
Strategy and Partnership
- Identify and research new prospect funders for Urban Water initiatives
- Writing/ editing proposals and communications materials for development (including PPTs, capabilities statements, project references, etc.)
- Coordinate with communications team to produce case studies and program stories for donor-centric communications and marketing materials
- Prepare briefing materials for donor presentations and/or meetings
- Relationship management with current and prospective partners
Qualifications and Requirements
- Post-graduation in Urban Water Engineering and Management/ Landscape Architecture/ Urban Planning (WASH) and Management/ Environmental Planning and Management/ Urban Infrastructure (WASH) / Public Policy/ or related field
- Minimum 8 to 12 years of full-time work experience in relevant field, with experience in project formulation, implementation and management
- Familiarity with Indian urban water paradigms (prudence and resilience), policies, general awareness of environment (water pollution), regulation, liveability, disaster risk and climate change
- Comfort in quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Strong research and writing skills
- Strong Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) skills
- Strong strategy and partnership development skills
- Strong project management and team management skills
- Onsite project implementation and contractor management (including Health and Safety management) experience is preferable
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe InDesign, ArcGIS preferable
- Ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to work both individually and alongside a team; also, ability to enthusiastically work under short deadlines and deliver quality work
- Willing to travel frequently at short notice
- Willing to work beyond working hours and across the time zones.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary shall be commensurate with experience and skills. WRI offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Full-time Term Hire (Initially for 2 Years and potentially extendable to a Permanent Hire)
Location: Bangalore/ New Delhi, India
Start Date: ASAP
Only Qualified applicants should apply online at https://jobs.jobvite.com/wri/jobs. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.
List of Documents to be attached:
- Resume with cover letter
- Writing samples or reports
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview purpose.
We believe in equal employment, it is our policy to recruit, and provide opportunities for advancement in all job classifications without regard to caste, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual preference, parental status, or disability.
Learn more about our organization at www.wri.org.