Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. The company has multiple offices in the U.S. and program offices in more than 40 countries.
Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
At Abt Associates, we are committed to creating a lasting culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that in order to achieve full participation, our practices must be free of prejudice, discrimination, and bias that result in inequitable outcomes. We are actively working to advance equity for everyone, and while we still have much work to do, we know that racial and cultural diversity are an asset to our business and the communities where we live and serve. Our ongoing commitment is focused on creating business practices that advance racial and social equity, investments in community impact programs for the benefit of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and expand upon project work related to racial equity and social justice.
Divisional Overview (DHE)
The Division of Health and Environment (DHE) is a trusted advisor to our clients in providing innovative, evidence-driven solutions that contribute to a healthier environment and the health and safety of individuals, families, and communities. We are market leaders in providing policy and regulatory support; advancing public health and clinical epidemiology; providing environmental science, natural resource management, and ecosystem restoration; shaping healthcare policy and health services delivery; responding to mental health and substance use disorders; and studying the criminal justice system. The underpinning of our work is a research-to-practice framework, through which we engage in activities from research to program implementation. DHE provides a dynamic and collaborative work environment to our employees that fosters professional growth and promotes a culture of innovation, thought leadership, technical excellence, and collaboration.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Senior Associate/Scientist to support research and evaluation, technical assistance, data capture, and digital projects across a range of project including projects in our water resources policy, regulatory analysis and environmental policy. The candidate will apply general and specialized knowledge of principles and concepts of economic theory and analysis, natural resource management, environmental planning, and environmental to develop new business and direct and manage the planning, design, and implementation of technical project protocols and procedures. The position holder will serve as the primary client contact and translate client needs and/or objectives into specific deliverables.
Federal government agencies focused on environmental or natural resource management such as: EPA, Army Corps of Engineers, Department of Interior, NOAA, and/or DOT as well as state agencies and foundations call on us to conduct policy-driven research and evaluate their key programs.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Proven success working for other contract research firms in leadership positions.
- Strong experience providing interdisciplinary consultant support to various federal environmental or natural resource agencies such as: EPA, DOT, NOAA, Army Corps of Engineers, and/or Department of Interior.
- Experience working as a consultant to state governments and non-profit organizations and foundations desired.
- Expert in providing one of more of the following: natural resource economics; benefit-cost analysis, regulatory analysis, environmental impact assessment, environmental modelling, risk assessment, environmental policy, guidance development, or regulatory analysis.
- May assume a role in proposal efforts by preparing drafts of sections.
- Establish an industry presence as a subject-matter expert by publishing in peer-reviewed journals and/or by presenting at annual conferences and meetings.
- Identify and recruit substantive peers and actively participate in the development of less senior staff.
- Using standard economic theory, should contribute to the design of evaluations in a variety of ways, including identifying potential unintended consequences of the programs being evaluated.
- Using varies economic analysis techniques, should bring a substantial toolbox of skills to the task of estimating the impacts of the programs and policies that we evaluate in Abt studies.
- Experience in project management, and demonstrated ability to manage a diverse portfolio of projects.
- MA/MBA with 13-15 years OR PhD with 8-10 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
- Background in civil or environmental engineering; environmental management; economics; or related discipline.
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, this position will be based as a telecommuter for the foreseeable future. Only when Abt reopens offices to all employees will there be an expectation that new hires return to the geographical office to which they were hired.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.