Application deadline: 15 January 2021
Expected duration: From 30 January 2021 until 30 July 2021, for an average of two days per week
Procedure: Deadline to apply is 15 January 2021. The applicant is invited to share a quote based on the information provided below
About the Water Youth Network
The Water Youth Network (WYN) now exists for 6 years, and functions as a 100% voluntary not-for-profit organization registered in The Netherlands. The WYN aims to connect water-related youth organizations and showcase the best practices of young people working on water issues around the globe. The added value of WYN is based on promoting genuine engagement of youth in the water sector delivering professional participation that represents a win-win situation for the water sector and the young professionals. Funding for WYN is generated primarily through project-focused grants. To increase impact and support the activities of the volunteers, WYN requires the support of someone who can dedicate his/her time to marketing the YouKnoW Platform.
About the YouKnoW! Platform
The WYN aims to showcase the best and innovative practices of young people around the globe. As a supporting tool, we have created the YouKnoW! (Youth-driven Knowledge in Water) Platform, an online database available on the WYN website. Using an interactive map, the idea is with only a “click of a mouse” users can access youth-led projects or organizations aimed at solving water issues, connect with a vibrant community and expand partnerships; it’s a new virtual collaboration space founded on collective wisdom towards today’s water challenges. The interactive YouKnoW! platform goals are to inspire, develop, and disseminate knowledge; to support communication on successful and innovative practices implemented by youth; and to connect these local experiences to international efforts.
The Map that aims at providing a quick search in the dynamic database to visitors of the website is now online and can be visited via http://youknow.wateryouthnetwork.org/.
In addition, we are developing three main tools:
- The Ideas Incubator; for those who would like to start a new idea and seek strategic partners
- The Research Lab; displays information of up to date technology developed in specific topics
- The Strategic Forums; a space to exchange ideas and work in a collaborative way.
WYN has raised funds and won a prize to further develop the YouKnoW! Platform. This funding will be used to invest in the map and tool development, as well as attracting users.
The platform represents the efforts to connect, engage, and empower young people to contribute more effectively to the water sector. All work of the WYN volunteers is connected to the platform. Also, we believe that this map, connecting youth around the world, will make a big change in youth participation in the water sector. Thus, it is extremely important to get as many people as possible to know about the platform and attract potential youth organizations and best practice project leaders to join. The YouKnoW! Platform can only achieve the objectives and become the number one tool to be used in the water sector if successful marketing is ensured.
Description and Responsibilities
The WYN and the YouKnoW! Platform team has therefore decided to invest in hiring a specialist in communications and marketing with good planning skills and the ability to interact effectively across different working groups. In addition, the candidate should be able to work independently and proactively. Good interpersonal, writing, and verbal skills in English are required (and other languages desirable), as well as an ability to handle multiple tasks at once. We highly value candidates with a good understanding and skills in WordPress, previous experience, and creativity in social media (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Flickr) for NGOs (or any other organization) and preferably design skills (Adobe, InDesign, Illustrator).
Previous experience with the environment and especially water-related topics is desirable.
Lead and assist in the development and accomplishment of communication and marketing activities connected to the YouKnoW map, with the main aim to add at least 150 youth organizations and projects to the map. We expect that this will be achieved through an active communication and marketing strategy, building upon existing relations of WYN, and activities and events directed towards youth in the water sector.
- Website: Use SEO/SEM, Google Adwords, Google Analytics to drive web traffic and engagement. Lead the development and execution of the YouKnoW Water Stories activity relevant to the website.
- Social media: Develop a communication and marketing strategy, develop content, build a targeted audience base across all channels, generate leads through social media advertising and other marketing tools.
- Blog and newsletter: Collaborate with WYN team to develop three blog pieces & newsletters and promote it through digital channels esp email marketing
- Deliver on digital campaigning activities i.e. message & audience testing, promotions, generating leads, etc on the relevant digital channels
- Support in monitoring, measurement, and evaluation of the digital campaign engagement.
- Support the development of case studies and ensuring learnings/insights are captured via relevant report back
- Participate, in meetings with project teams and partners
- 5K+ audience across all digital platforms
- Reaching 1M+ people across all digital channels
- Engaging 10K people (shares, likes, comments, retweets, click-throughs) across all channels
- 10K impressions around the YK hashtag on Instagram
- 300 newsletter sign-ups
- Engage 2-3 new media partners for the project duration.
- Report back on activities.
You can expect:
- An international and very friendly environment working with young professionals
- Flexibility regarding time management
- Support of an engaged group of volunteers
The candidate will be hired as a consultant on a contractual basis for the duration of activities. The activities and durations will be agreed upon prior and amongst the applicant and the team (including important deadlines).
Timing, funding, and management
The activities will be undertaken from 30 January 2021 to 30 July 2021, with an estimated average of 2 days a week. Applicants are invited to share a quote including planning, based on the information provided. The consultant can decide him/herself how to best divide the time over the period of work, which will be finalized in consultation with the YouKnoW! Coordinators upon hiring.
Every 2 months, a progress meeting will be held to discuss the advancement in meeting the deliverables. The payment of the invoices will be connected to milestones, for instance, a certain number of organizations added to the platform, to be set jointly by the YouKnoW! Coordinators and the consultant.
About the team
You will work directly under the YouKnoW! Coordinators (Brayton) and the YouKnoW! Communications and Events Taskforce project manager (Vincy) focused on communicating ongoing opportunities, advertising the YouKnoW! Platform and promotion of communications among the incipient YouKnoW! Community.
How to apply
Send a CV, a letter of motivation (one-page), and a quote reflecting the deliverables described including a schedule of the project deliverables (30 Jan 2021 to 30 July 2021, for 2 days a week), to Vincy Abraham ([email protected]) and Brayton Noll ([email protected]) before 15 January 2021.