Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking an experienced Behavior Change Specialist to oversee supervise the implementation of the behavior change approach on the anticipated USAID funded Jordan Water Governance Activity. The purpose of this program will be to Support the Government of Jordan to achieve measurable improvements and greater sustainability of the water sector by providing technical assistance to strengthen the GOJ’s reform, policy development and implementation, and capacity-building efforts.
While public education and outreach efforts have taken place over the past decades, the public remains largely unaware of the water scarcity challenges, the cost of providing water services and the specific challenges of NRW. The BCC specialist will achieve behavior change by targeting various water user groups to promote water efficiency and conservation methods; build support for water sector policy issues and enforcement of laws, by-laws, and codes; and advocate for increased transparency and accountability within the water sector. Working closely with USAID and its partners, the BCC specialist shall introduce a state-of-the-art approach applicable to Jordan, to induce behavioral changes leading to increased efficiency in the use of water and facilitate policy adoption in the water sector. The BCC specialist will sustain this behavioral change momentum by building the capacity of Jordanian institutions to design and implement educational campaigns and programs that utilize communication and social marketing principles and theories.
The Behavior Change Communication (BCC) specialist will provide technical expertise to support the water utilities, MWI and JVA with implementation of gender-sensitive BCC strategies nationwide. The strategies should cover awareness, outreach and behavioral change on water scarcity, efficiency and conservation, and identify ways for all stakeholders to contribute. The BCC specialist must support the implementation of gender-sensitive outreach activities to promote water management best practices, with special focus on water efficiency and conservation. Water use efficiency and conservation programs go hand-in-hand with awareness and outreach programs. The BCC specialist will design public outreach activities targeting different types of customers, consumers, residential and non-residential end users. To ensure integration and sustainability, the awareness and outreach activities will be designed based on behavior change principles that are sensitive to the needs and behaviors of the different users, while building capacity and transferring knowledge to the relevant staff of water utilities and MWI.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Review of past/similar BCC efforts in Jordan and Globally to learn lessons, find out what worked and didn’t and see what can be built upon.
- Using formative research, identify the priority desired behaviors and a prioritization/pinpointing of the behaviors that are being exhibited currently that are harmful and must be improved.
- Clear identification/mapping of the target groups and the support groups that influence those target groups. This should include households and communities as well as the behaviors of people in decision making positions, policy makers, members of the Jordan water governance system.
- Oversee the design of all project activities related to changing Water conservation and water use efficiency related behaviors in the target populations – local leaders and functionaries, residents, children;
- Implement systematic and rigorous behavior change approach that identifies the key incentives, motivators, barriers, around desired water management behaviors and design appropriate and targeted behavior change communication interventions that incorporate them; communications channels may include media (small, medium, large) (radio, TV, print) and approach (how often, how much, how much repetition) and the actual best matching of messages to media to audience/desired behavior.
- Identify appropriate performance indicators and monitor and evaluate behavior change;
- Write progress reports;
- Coordinate with other staff to integrate behavior change actions with other project activities (e.g. capacity building, infrastructure development) ensuring that project activities are efficiently implemented;
- Liaise and coordinate with GOJ and representatives with other development actors as necessary;
- Orient other project staff in the behavior change approach and activities, providing mentoring as required;
- Ensure that behavior change communication transcends traditional educational messaging and mass communication approaches.
- Advanced degree in a relevant field such as communication, behavior change, or social sciences
- Minimum 10 years of experience in development sector with at least 5 years of experience in designing, planning, and implementing evidence-based BCC approaches in Jordan
- Strong background in advocacy, interpersonal communication skills development,, group facilitation, and BCC materials/tools development
- Experience in the utilization of state-of-the-art BCC approaches, including use of social media, ICT (information and communication technology), etc.
- Understanding and familiarity of development communication challenges and solutions
- Strong understanding and perspective on gender
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing behavior change programs that deliver targeted BC messages using different channels at different levels,
- Experience in social and gender issues, especially learning and behavior change challenges of illiterate poor and women is desirable,
- Demonstrated experience in working on integrated water resource management teams and incorporating behavior change activities into training and capacity building ,
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic,