Location: This position is likely to be fully home based but may include a proportion of time based from our office in North Berwick on the east coast of Scotland.
SALARY: Competitive depending on experience.
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible.
CLOSING DATE FOR VACANCY: 3rd January 2021
AWS is a global membership-based collaboration that connects organisations dedicated to promoting responsible use of freshwater. Our members include businesses, NGOs and public sector organisations. Members contribute to the sustainability of local water-resources through adoption and promotion of a universal framework for the sustainable use of water – the International Water Stewardship Standard, or AWS Standard – that drives, recognises and rewards good water stewardship.
The AWS Standard provides a globally applicable framework for major water users to understand their water use and impacts, and to work collaboratively and transparently for sustainable water management within a catchment context. The AWS Standard system includes third party certification and a network of accredited professional service providers to support and assess the implementation of the Standard.
The AWS Standard System is overseen by a multi-stakeholder governance structure and fuelled by information from members, partners and a growing number of local water stewardship networks, coordinated by our regional partners and representatives. Knowledge and learning are fundamental to both our ambitions for growth and the integrity of the AWS System. By connecting organisations at the forefront of collaboration on water, AWS facilitates the exchange of knowledge to advance the uptake of water stewardship worldwide.
Although still relatively young, AWS is a rapidly growing organisation. Our highly motivated team is dispersed across several countries. We are now seeking a Chief System Integrity Officer to join our team and play a leadership role in the future growth and impact of the AWS System.
About the role
As Chief System Integrity Officer you will have overall responsibility for the integrity components of the AWS System:
- Knowledge, Learning & Impact
- Professional Credentialing
This is a new role that will consolidate and streamline leadership of these core functions of the AWS System.
Central to the role is protecting and enhancing the credibility of the AWS System and of AWS certification through robust oversight and clear and fully implemented processes on quality assurance, capacity development and continual improvement.
As part of the AWS Executive Team, this role requires close collaboration across different organizational disciplines in a fast paced and highly interdependent working environment.
The role includes management of staff leading on Knowledge and Learning, Assurance, Professional Credentialing and Training, as well as relationship management with AWS assurance provider(s).
Effective working relationships with service providers, partners, local representatives and AWS members will be a crucial element of the role, helping to maintain stakeholder confidence in the integrity of the AWS System.
who You are and what you’ll do
You’re a seasoned professional in a relevant field
- You have extensive leadership experience in a relevant field such as sustainability standards, corporate compliance, supply chain integrity or accreditation/auditing.
- You will provide leadership and direction for the development and execution of integrity components of the AWS System.
- You will develop systems and take measures to ensure ongoing compliance with all ISEAL codes.
You’re an innovator
- You have a track record of combining rigour and innovation to enhance effectiveness of standard systems.
- You will ensure excellence in delivery of all integrity components of the AWS System, developing and utilising innovative approaches and technology as appropriate.
You’re a collaborator
- You are naturally collaborative and comfortable working across multiple time zones with diverse stakeholders.
- You will recognize the high level of interdependencies across our program of work and promote coordination and mutual support across the team, local networks, members and partners to grow the AWS System.
You’re passionate about global sustainability issues
- You have an enthusiasm for social and environmental issues that is demonstrated through knowledge and experience, ideally with a substantial knowledge of water issues. You have a desire to see positive social and environmental impacts from committed enterprises and understand and relate to different cultures and their developmental challenges.
- You will inject this passion into your work and contribute to the promoting a culture of learning, sharing and support in AWS.
What you’ll need to succeed
- Leadership on integrity issues in a relevant working environment such as corporate compliance, voluntary standard system, supply chain integrity or similar.
- Outstanding analytical, quantitative and conceptual skills.
- Ability to lead on planning, budgeting and resourcing of integrity components of AWS System.
- Substantial experience in complex governance and multi-stakeholder environments.
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
- Solid understanding of approaches to resilience, sustainability and natural resource or environmental management (experience in water management would carry additional weight).
- Ability to communicate effectively with external and internal stakeholders.
- Excellent administrative capabilities with a high level of attention to detail.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- The ability to travel internationally as required for the role.
How to apply
If you think you might be right for this job, and this job might be right for you, please send an email marked “VACANCY: CHIEF SYSTEM INTEGRITY OFFICER” to [email protected] Your email should include the following attachments:
- A covering letter explaining why you are interested in the position and demonstrating how you meet the person specification.
- Your current CV with email addresses and telephone numbers of two referees.
- An indication of when you would be available to take on the role, if selected.
Closing date for applications is 3rd January 2021
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot provide feedback to unsuccessful candidates.