Program Lead (Rural Wellbeing and Food Security)
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyse action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
The GCA seeks an experienced, ambitious and dynamic individual to lead the Rural Wellbeing and Food Security work program. S/he drives forward the Global Center on Adaptation’s role as a solutions broker in the field of adaptation action. S/he will play a key role in positioning the GCA as the foremost international organization specialising in climate change adaptation. The Rural Wellbeing and Food Security program will have a considerable focus on Africa.
The Program Lead will report to the Director of Programs while working closely with other members of the Leadership Team, other Program Leads and the members of the Program team.
The Program Lead will be responsible for:
- Taking a leadership role in positioning the GCA as a key solutions broker on climate change adaptation for achieving rural wellbeing and food security;
- Providing leadership for the GCA’s program on rural wellbeing and food security, including making strategic decisions related to GCA’s directions and leading the implementation of part of GCA’s business plan;
- Developing initiatives and projects to position the GCA with key stakeholders in the food security community, including maintaining active relationships with key interlocutors within these stakeholders;
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting on projects and using this to continuously steer and improve the program;
- Performing budget management so that the program’s results are achieved within the planned and forecasted financial resources;
- Proactive assessment of and contribution to relevant national, regional and international events and associated opportunities for the GCA to realise its adaptation acceleration objectives, in relation to rural wellbeing and food security, including the Climate Adaptation Summit;
- Researching and preparing briefings related to identified key external opportunities and stakeholders relevant to the GCA’s execution of its business plan;
- Building and managing a strong and diverse team, able to achieve the planned results and to adapt to the high level of growth and dynamics of GCA.
The GCA welcomes applications from all candidates who meet the qualifications below:
- At least 15 years of work experience related to rural development, agriculture and food security in low- and middle-income countries;
- Masters’ Degree, or preferably PhD in international development, agriculture or a related field;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience of working in international, intercultural environments, preferably in Africa;
- Experience of successfully delivering complex multi-stakeholder projects to time and within budget;
- Experience in working with the private sector;
- Excellent leadership, presentation and communication skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in other languages is an asset.
What we offer
The GCA offers a dynamic, high-profile and international working environment in a growing organisation. You will be contributing to our global mission on climate adaptation. The post will be located in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, on a full-time basis (40 hours per week).
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your motivation letter and CV at gca.recruitee.com before 20:00 pm CEST on 30 December 2020. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start in Rotterdam and/or remotely due to COVID-19.
Equal Employment Opportunities Statement
GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for sharing this vacancy with suitable candidates.