Colorado Springs owns and operates an extensive water collection and transmission system that extends across three river basins in Colorado. We are seeking a talented Water Resource specialist to work in the Water Resource Planning group within the Water Services Division as a Project Manager III. If selected, you will join a team of dedicated professionals working to meet the current and future water supply needs of the City of Colorado Springs while focusing primarily on Colorado Springs Utilities’ Arkansas Basin Program and the development of water sharing projects such as Alternative Transfer Methods (ATM’s)
In this position, you will be integral to the implementation of our Integrated Water Resources Plan goal of developing an additional 25,000 AF of new water supply in the Arkansas River Basin. You will be expected to devote a substantial amount of time to working outside of the office with diverse groups of stakeholders as a representative of Colorado Springs Utilities as you assist with the development, negotiation, and maintenance of water agreements and contracts.
What you’ll be doing…
- Assist with the development, negotiation, and administration of water contracts and agreement related to the Colorado Springs Utilities Water Sharing Program.
- Provide technical support and assistance on the development, review, and implementation of water rights engineering and studies, and water rights litigation.
- Complete resource valuations to estimate commodity cost of crops, opportunity costs for fallowing land, and fair market value for water.
- Conduct field investigations to evaluate ditch and lateral characteristics for potential ATM development and determine parameters and assumptions for performing water rights engineering.
- Build and maintain relationships with water rights owners, water boards, landowners, and other water providers.
- Assist with various aspects of project management including writing project scope, reviewing bids, overseeing contractors and consultants, inspecting projects, conducting briefings, and facilitating procurement and contracting.
- Perform short-range operational planning, as required, to meet project needs.
- Work in teams, work groups, and committees with other members of the Water Resource Management Section. The successful candidate will also be expected to work closely with other units within Colorado Springs Utilities’ Water Services Division, as well as with other water providers, water agencies, water rights owners, and landowners within the Arkansas River Valley, as project needs dictate.
Why should you apply…
This position represents an amazing opportunity for those passionate about water resources in Colorado. The successful candidate will work with a dedicated team of water resource professionals to solve a wide range of complex, problems related to water supply development. You will have a chance to work and build relationships with a wide range of stakeholders both within Colorado Springs Utilities and the larger Colorado water community. You will be an integral team member on a wide range of projects, efforts, and initiatives ranging from long-term, high-level planning to short-term daily operations.
What will it take to be successful in this position…
- Highly qualified candidates will have a bachelor’s degree in a Business, Resource Management, Agricultural, Geology, Watershed Hydrology, Environmental Science, or related engineering field.
- Five or more years of direct experience working in a water resources related discipline with ability to demonstrate practice with Colorado water rights and/or western water law is preferred.
- Must demonstrate project management experience with increasing responsibility and capacity to manage and facilitate the implementation of projects from inception to completion. Experience working for water providers (e.g., utilities, ditch companies, conservancy districts, well augmentation organizations, etc.) and/or specific water resource experience in Colorado or the Rocky Mountain West will also be viewed favorably.
- The following professional licensures or certifications are considered beneficial but are not required: Professional Engineer, Professional Land Surveyor, Professional Geologist, Certified Planner, or other technical license/certification.
- Ability to travel to attend meetings, conduct field work in remote watersheds, or participate in regional committees and work groups.
The ideal candidate will exhibit the ability to:
- Collect, research, and analyze data;
- Be self directed, with the ability to work both independently and in teams;
- Generate creative solutions, demonstrate attention to detail, and offer new ideas and concepts;
- Adjust to multiple and changing priorities, deal with ambiguity, and remain flexible and open;
- Develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships with individuals and groups with disparate interests; and
- Communicate clearly and concisely in writing and verbally.
What a career at Colorado Springs Utilities can offer you…
- As a community-owned enterprise for over 100 years, we offer the stability of providing a required service and commodity for our community.
- We are a diverse team of professionals who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community through new and innovative technologies.
- We understand employees have competing priorities. That is why we have created an environment which embraces teamwork and flexibility.
- Join a diverse team of high performers who take pride in delivering exceptional service to our community! For more information and to apply, visit www.csu.org
- Colorado Springs Utilities is considered an essential business delivering critical services to our community. During the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we are hiring for a variety of positions. Interviews for many positions will leverage remote technology solutions, including the enhanced use of email, telephone, and video solutions where possible. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
- All postings will close at 11:59 pm on the Posting Close Date. Candidates must apply for the position prior to this date and time. If the Posting Close Date is blank, the position will remain open until filled.
- Starting pay will be determined at the time of offer based on the experience, education, and training of the successful candidate.
- Colorado Springs Utilities offers a variety of benefits. For more information on our benefits, visit https://coloradospringsutilities.jobs/benefits/
- Colorado Springs Utilities does not participate in work visa programs or sponsorship of work visas of any kind (including but not limited to F-1, H-1B, or TN visas). Eligible applicants must be authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis.