With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
California Climate Program
The California Climate Program seeks a highly motivated, analytically rigorous analyst to join EDF’s Sacramento office. The Analyst will be a key member of the team, conducting research and analysis in a breadth of environmental topics.
- Assist with timely in-house analyses for Program staff, EDF executive team, and other programs throughout the organization;
- Help write white papers summarizing research for a broader audience, along with public communications including Congressional testimony, presentations, Op-Ed pieces, and blog posts;
- Prepare information to respond to inquiries from a variety of stakeholders;
- Work with internet communications staff to maintain up-to-date information on websites;
- In conjunction with development staff, participates in developing funding proposals and interim reports, when appropriate;
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills in preparing correspondence and reports, responding to requests for information, and helping to coordinate activities among team members.
- Support the Director, California Climate on collaborative efforts with academic institutions, national labs, and other analytical organizations
- Serve as a key analytical resource to the EDF Climate staff and assist in implementing initiatives such as state and local campaigns to promote ambitious market-based climate policies in California and around the globe — including championing California’s cap-and-trade program and working to increase the ambition of federal policy; in Mexico and in Brazil, where our focus is on reducing emissions from tropical deforestation.
The minimum qualifications for the position are:
- Undergraduate degree in environmental science, economics, law or related fields. At least three years of related professional experience or a Master’s Degree in a related field with some professional experience.
- Results-oriented, self-starter with the ability to think strategically and carry out responsibilities in a timely and effective manner
- Exceptional personal organization and attention to detail.
- Excellent research and analytical skills and an interest in performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience.
- Ability to work independently and to support a multi-disciplinary team, using independent judgment required to plan, prioritize, and organize diversified workload.
- Strong computer proficiency, including experience with Excel, Word, and Internet research.
- Knowledge of market-based environmental policy
- Professional, educational or volunteer experience related to environmental advocacy or the essential qualifications listed above
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer