We are currently seeking a Project National Coordinator for the PAS PNA II in Burkina Faso. You will work on the PAS–PNA Project (Projet d’Appui Scientifique aux processus de Plans Nationaux d’Adaptation dans les pays francophones les moins avancés d’Afrique subsaharienne) extension (until April 2021).
The national project coordinator – Burkina Faso will report to the Climate Analytics’ PAS–PNA II Project Leader based in our Lomé Office in Togo, and will be part of Climate Analytics’ West Africa Team based in Lomé and the Global Implementation Strategies Team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Coordinate the implementation of the component 2 of the project at national level – ensure planning, implementation and monitoring of activities and quality control of deliverables;
- Lead the pre-feasibility study of the project “Implementing sustainable land management to enhance the resilience of communities to climate change in the Tuy and Houet provinces of Burkina Faso”. For your attention, the GCF guidelines for preparing a pre-feasibility study under the Simplified Approval Process is accessible here;
- Mobilise local and key stakeholders and ensure a participatory and gender-sensitive approaches to the implementation of the pre-feasibility study;
- Co-Lead together with the Project Leader the relationship with national partners in Burkina Faso, GIZ Burkina Faso, SP CNDD, FIE etc.
- Maintain oversight of the pre-feasibility study activities as well as monitoring and reporting;
- Identify technical input where needed, find relevant expertise in Burkina Faso when needed;
- Co-organize the PAS–PNA II related meetings and missions of Climate Analytics in Burkina Faso;
- Support the training and capacity building activities, ensure knowledge exchange and lessons learned with the Project leader and within the WA and Global team;
- Represent Climate Analytics and the project nationally;
- Maintain and develop partnerships with entities and institutions at national level.
You will ideally have the following qualifications and skills:
- A Master’s degree in Agronomy, sustainable land management, rural development, agricultural economy, agro-sylvo-pastoral production, climate change and/or environmental studies/policies or any other relevant subject;
- Proven interest in sustainable land management issues in Burkina Faso;
- Proven experience in leading project pre-feasibility studies or any other project scoping assessment;
- Proven experience in coordinating projects preferably in climate change field. Project in climate change and sustainable land management is considered a plus;
- Experience in working with international financing organisations and development partners. Experience with climate funds in particular the Green Climate Fund (GCF) is a plus;
- Understanding the agro-sylvo-pastoral systems and their vulnerability to climate change in Burkina Faso;
- Understanding the sensitivity to climate change of the natural and livelihood within the Tuy and Houet provinces of Burkina Faso;
- Understanding the application of good agricultural practices resilient to climate change (example of drought-tolerant Agrosilvopastoral systems);
- Understanding the vulnerability of the agro-sylvo-pastoral production systems to climate change in the provinces of Houet and Tuy in Burkina Faso is a plus.
- Understanding the impact of future climate change on water resources in Burkina Faso;
- Understanding the impact of climate change on economics and agricultural productivity in Burkina Faso;
- Understanding the integration of climate change in national adaptation and development policies in Burkina Faso;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently;
- Native or near-native French skills. Excellent English communication skills is a plus;
- Willingness to travel nationally frequently.
- Strong analytical skills with conceptual understanding;
- Strong, proven functional skills in analytical writing, and producing reports and, research and assessments;
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills;
- High sense of leadership and managerial skills;
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills and experience in working effectively in a multi-cultural environment, including the ability to liaise effectively with senior level;
- Excellent networking with a demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships;
- Planning, organizational and time management skills, including flexibility, and the ability to work under pressure to meet changing deadlines;
- Analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to formulate recommendations.
Following skills are an asset:
- Experience working in virtual teams and conducting e-meetings;
- Experience in development of agro-silvo-pastoral production value chains in Burkina Faso.
- Experience working and engaging with government(s) and development agencies.
Application deadline: 3 January 2021
Starting date: As soon as possible
Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Terms: Consultant contract until April 2021
Special requirements: Burkina Faso citizen or permitted to work in Burkina Faso
Please apply with your CV, cover letter and a list of three references in PDF format by 3 January 2021 and indicate in your cover letter your availability and your salary expectations.
Applications can be submitted in French or English.
For further information send your questions via email to [email protected].
Please apply exclusively using the application form. Applications by email or by post can unfortunately not be processed.