The Fisheries Division (NFI) is responsible for the economic, social, institutional, governance and policy aspects of FAO’s activities related to fisheries and aquaculture and their development, with particular emphasis on human well-being, food security and poverty reduction; post-harvest utilization, marketing and trade with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security and the well-being of fishing communities; collection, compilation, validation, trend analysis and dissemination of the best available and up-to-date fishery statistics and for the syndication of the FAO information on all aspects of world fisheries and aquaculture. The Division is also responsible for FAO’s activities related to the management and conservation of the living aquatic resources used by fisheries and aquaculture, including the biodiversity and ecosystem maintenance, with particular emphasis on most vulnerable and threatened species and habitats; management of responsible fisheries and aquaculture in accordance with modern management standards and best practices; development of fisheries technology, with due regard to the protection of the environment, food security and the well-being of fishing communities, including the safety of fishers and fishing vessels.
The Fishery Officer reports to the Director, NFI.
Blue Growth: coming out of the 2012 Rio+20 Conference, the blue economy comprises the food, jobs and opportunities for development provided by ocean and coastal assets. Blue growth emphasizes conservation and sustainable management of aquatic resources and equitable benefits to the coastal communities that rely on them.
Research, technical analysis, and project related services to support the delivery of programme projects, products, and services.
• Researches and analyzes technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services.
• Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages.
• Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies and initiatives and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
• Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases.
• Participates on multi-disciplinary teams, and/or leads working groups/teams collaborates with other departments and agencies on work groups and committees and promotes best practices.
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools.
• Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations.
• Supports resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Supports Divisional strategic planning and coordination processes
• Supports NFI’s contributions to the FAO Strategic Framework
• Supports the implementation of Blue Growth and Blue Transformation initiatives
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
•Advanced university degree in economics, fisheries economics or marine affairs with a specialization in fisheries management and/or governance or other field related
• Five years of relevant experience in Ocean policy, Coastal zone management, Fisheries and aquaculture policy implementation, or related field
Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in planning and supervising work related to food security and nutrition, poverty eradication, and sustainable ocean management
• Extent and relevance of experience in providing technical advice on fisheries and aquaculture.
• Recent and relevant experience in Blue Economy and/or Blue Growth programmes or initiatives.
• Depth of familiarity with fisheries sector in developing countries.
• Ability to analyze complex fisheries and aquaculture-related issues