Result of Service
– Regional Office for Europe supported in the roll out of a strategic engagement with the EU institutions.
– EU institutions achieve greater strategic focus and engagement on DRR priorities.
– Member countries in the European region are supported in reinforcing their engagement on Sendai Framework implementation and monitoring, through greater engagement with EU institutions as key partners.
12 months, with possibility of extension.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) is the designated focal point in the United Nations system for the coordination of efforts to reduce disaster risk and to ensure synergies among the disaster reduction activities of the United Nations.
Specifically, UNDRR guides, monitors, analyses and reports on progress in the implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, supports regional and national implementation of the Framework and catalyzes action and increases global awareness to reduce disaster risk. UNDRR works with national authorities to enhance resilience to better accounting of loss data, capacity development and the sustainable implementation of, disaster loss accounting systems in line with Sendai Framework indicators, supporting national and global monitoring processes including the reporting against Sendai targets and indicators.
At a regional level, UNDRR aims to engage with key partners in strengthening the DRR agenda through available programmes, instruments and policy processes contributing to the implementation and monitoring of the Sendai Framework. The Regional Office for Europe works closely with the European Union, as one of UNDRR’s major partner and donor organisations in driving the DRR agenda in Europe and globally. UNDRR engages with services of the various EU institutions in leveraging impact of EU policies, instruments and programmes in line with Sendai priorities and targets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The main responsibilities of the consultant will include coordination activities in the implementation of the UNDRR-EU engagement, both internally across the network of focal points, and with EU counterparts through the respective working relations maintained by the Regional Office for Europe.
The consultant will be responsible for leveraging strategic UNDRR engagement on policy priorities, positioning DRR in relevant programming, and strengthening regular exchanges with EU counterparts in advancing the DRR agenda through both EU internal and external action. Priority policy areas include, but are not limited to, the European Green Deal; the Neighborhood, Development and International Cooperation Instrument, the Union Civil Protection Mechanism and the EU efforts around the stimulus recovery packages on COVID-19.
Ultimately, the consultant will aim at leveraging support and resources around the DRR agenda.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in public administration, European studies, social sciences, or related area is required. A first-level university degree in combination with at least two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of working experience in project management, with a focus on sustainable development, environment and climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction, or related areas, is required. Experience working on EU affairs is required.
Fluency in written and spoken English and French language is required. Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
Is applicable, depending on needs and sanitary restrictions.
– Coordinate the development of a strategic engagement with the European Commission
– Support implementation of a joint communications strategy around ‘Prevention Saves Lives’ and EFDRR
– Contribute to UN Brussels teamwork, including on environmental policy
– Contribute to at least one European Parliament event
– Support UNDRR contributions to EU Presidencies
– Manage the UNDRR Focal Point Network and the internal coordination of the UNDRR EU engagement strategy.