IUCN defines Nature-based Solutions as “actions to protect, sustainably manage, and restore natural and modified ecosystems that address societal challenges effectively and adaptively, simultaneously providing human well-being and biodiversity benefits.” In Eastern Europe and Central Asia, IUCN works closely with partner organisations and experts on promoting and implementing Nature-based Solutions at various levels.
The primary task of the Nature-based Solutions Project Officer will be to ensure the high-quality management and coordination of projects under the Nature-based Solutions Programme Area in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, support identification of programme priorities and development of new projects and partnerships. Other tasks will include liaison with IUCN Members, Commissions and an array of international organisations, institutional partners and NGOs.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Nature-based Solutions Senior Project Officer, in close cooperation with the IUCN ECARO Director and IUCN Thematic Programmes.
• Manage and coordinate IUCN ECARO Nature-based Solutions projects in Eastern Europe and Central Asia;
• Support the development and implementation of the ECARO Nature-based Solutions Programme Area in the region;
• Liaise with IUCN Members, Commissions and partners in identifying project development opportunities in the field of Nature-based Solutions;
• Actively pursue partnerships and promote cooperation with thematically-aligned projects and initiatives in the region.
• Ensure smooth and coherent project management and implementation, including preparation of work plans, technical and financial reports, partnership agreements and service contracts. Provision of goods and services;
• Undertake logistical and administrative tasks related to project implementation, including the organisation of workshops, meetings, preparation and dissemination of meeting material, liaison with partners;
• Oversee the work of a network of external experts and implementation of field activities;
• Assist in the development of the Nature-based Solutions Programme Area and follow up projects;
• Support the communications team in preparing and disseminating communication material;
• Actively pursue opportunities on project identification and formulation with IUCN Members, Commissions, donors and partners;
• Support the dissemination of IUCN NbS standards knowledge tools in the region;
• Represent IUCN ECARO at programme-related events;
• Carry out other relevant tasks on request and agreement with the line manager.
The gross annual salary for this position is 28.800 EUR subject to deductions for social security contributions and health insurance, and before tax.
|• Bachelor or master’s degree in a subject related to environmental sciences and natural resource management;|
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in a field related to natural resource management, climate change or ecosystem restoration;
• Proven experience in the management of international projects and reporting to donors;
• Knowledge of the IUCN Global Standard for Nature-based Solutions and related international frameworks;
• Good understanding of human rights-based approaches and community engagement;
• Work experience in the region, preferably in the Western Balkans;
• Proven ability to work in multi-disciplinary groups, including governments, experts, civil society and the private sector;
• Willingness to frequently travel within the region, sometimes at short notice;
• Excellent command English; knowledge of other languages spoken in the region would be an asset;
• Computer literacy in MS Office packages;
• Excellent organizational and networking skills, team-oriented attitude and ability to work independently.
Applicants are requested to apply online through the HR Management System, by opening the vacancy announcement and pressing the “Apply” button.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST). Please note that only selected applicants will be personally contacted for interviews.
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/