Program Officer (Water)
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyze action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
In collaboration with the Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management of the Government of the Netherlands, GCA has established the Water Adaptation Hub, an online platform for the water adaptation community. The hub will operate at the global level to support the acceleration and scaling up of water climate adaption interventions globally and locally by strengthening the linkages between the water sector and the global and national climate dialogues and by strengthening the link between water adaptation initiatives (communities, groups, networks and initiatives) to facilitate learning and knowledge exchanges.
The Water Adaptation Hub will:
- Facilitate dialogues around specific topics, challenges, issues related to water adaptation and disseminate the consolidated outcomes of these discussions widely. And support the development and testing of innovative methods, tools, and instruments.
- Support the documentation and dissemination good and new practices for integrating climate adaption and resilience in all water systems.
- Connect solution seekers and solution providers by acting as a facilitated solution broker for the entire water sector.
- Pro-actively inform the water sector on ongoing international and national climate dialogues and jointly identify key-issues to be taken up for further discussion with the WAH. This includes advising the focused communities/networks/groups on the selection and prioritization of issues to be tackled
- Identify and consolidate key outcomes of the initiatives connected to the Water Adaptation Hub and insert these into international and national climate dialogues, including the formulation of National Adaptation Plans and Nationally Determined Contributions, through governmental and non-governmental partners.
- Actively connect and link various focused communities/groups/networks working on water adaptation or a theme closely related to this.
We are looking for a dynamic and highly committed Water Expert to facilitate the further development, consolidation and expansion of the Water Adaptation Hub. The Water Expert will actively engage communities, groups and networks connected to the overall Water Adaptation Hub and will also seek out initiatives that can be connected. The Program Officer Water will report to the Program Lead Water of GCA.
The Program Officer Water will have the following responsibilities:
- Actively facilitate discussions and knowledge exchange within the Water Adaptation Hub, encourage members to participate, summarize discussions, invite responses, and so on.
- Actively connect to and broker between networks, communities and groups working on water adaptation or themes related to this, ensuring a balance between initiatives from the Global South and Global North.
- Contribute to the development of a five-year strategy for the Water Adaptation Hub and a yearly annual plan and budget.
- Undertake consultations with partners and other relevant stakeholders in the water and adaptation sphere to ensure the Hub is demand driven, to ensure strategic positioning as well as complementarity and synergy with other like-minded initiatives.
- Maintain and expand a network of partners to support the Water Adaptation Hub including Multilateral Development Banks, governments, private and public sector partners.
- Actively engage with and consolidate outcomes of groups, communities and networks that are connected to the Hub.
- Actively engage with national and international climate dialogues and processes, to bring outputs from the Hub to these initiatives and vice versa.
- Actively engage and cooperate with the Netherlands Ministry of Infrastructure and Water and other Water Action Track partners to ensure joint ownership and endorsement.
- Knowledge of water management and water adaptation, preferably in international settings.
- Experience in and knowledge of international climate processes, dialogues and platforms.
- Masters’ Degree in relevant field.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in related fields at international levels and with participatory stakeholder facilitation.
- Experience in working with public and private sector partners.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Experience working with governments at different levels.
- Outstanding command of English and excellent demonstratable writing, and communication skills.
What we offer
The GCA offers a dynamic, high profile and international working environment in a growing organization. You will have the opportunity to draw upon the substantial expertise available at the GCA and its partner organizations across the world and will be given an opportunity to support the shaping of international policies and global action on climate change, working at the highest governmental levels and collaborating with governments on all continents.
The post will be located at the GCA’s office in Rotterdam, The Netherlands on a full-time basis (40 hours per week).
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your motivation letter and CV at gca.recruitee.com before 20:00 pm CEST on 30 December 2020. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start in Rotterdam and/or remotely due to COVID-19.
Equal Employment Opportunities Statement
GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for sharing this vacancy with suitable candidates.