Lead Wetland Scientist
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is an employee-owned company of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance. We are expanding our team in the Westborough, MA office or distributed and available to access projects within the geographic area.
We are seeking a Wetland Scientist to assist with execution of projects in the Northeast States and potentially other regions. This position will be involved in a variety of biological studies, including conducting biological evaluations and assessments, aquatic resources delineations, and vegetation baseline studies. The applicant should be able to work independently for 40 or more hours per week, on a sometimes unpredictable and fluid schedule. The successful candidate will be expected to accurately complete data collection, carry out field-based surveys and monitoring activities, coordinate with project and office managers, and complete other tasks as assigned. This is a regular, full-time position.
What you will accomplish
- Completing wetland resource area delineations and functional assessments.
- Preparing wetland permits in accordance with State, Local, and Federal guidelines.
- Preparing reports and proposals.
- Working well in both field and office environments.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written.
Experience and qualifications for success
- Bachelor’s degree in Wetland Science, Biology, Plant/Soil Science, Ecology or other related environmental science
- 5 years of wetland science related experience, to include: experience managing all aspects of projects, environmental consulting, or ecological studies including developing and implementing budgets, schedules, scopes of work from pre-field tasks to final report preparation
- Prior experience as the lead for wetland delineations
- Experience producing high quality writing products.
- MS Office Products skills.
- GPS data collection experience.
- 7 years of wetland science related experience
- Certification as a Professional Wetland Scientist by the Society of Wetland Scientists.
- Experience working with Massachusetts Wetlands Protection Act Regulations.
- Connecticut Soil Scientist
- Experience in project permitting, impact assessments, proposal preparation, environmental planning and wetland delineation/mitigation.
- Experience with local, state and federal wetland permitting programs (CT, MA, NH, RI, VT, and ME).
- Experience working with subcontractors and regulatory agencies.
- Valid driver's license.
- Ability and willingness to travel, sometimes at moment’s notice, for extended periods, at nights and occasionally on the weekend.
- Ability to pass a Motor Vehicle background screening.
- Available to access projects within the geographic area.
- Ability to work long hours in harsh conditions.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full-spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email email@example.com or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.