Regional Environmental Engineer
For more than 14 years, Amazon Web Services (AWS) has been the world’s most comprehensive and broadly adopted cloud computing platform. What is cloud computing? Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of IT resources over the Internet. Instead of buying, owning, and maintaining physical data centers and servers, companies can access technology services, such as computing power, storage, and databases, on an as-needed basis from AWS. AWS offers over 175 fully featured services for compute, storage, databases, networking, analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence, Internet of Things, mobile, security, hybrid, virtual and augmented reality, media, and application , deployment, and from 77 Availability Zones across 24 geographic regions. AWS services are trusted by millions of active customers around the world - including the fastest-growing startups, largest enterprises, and leading government agencies—to power their infrastructure, make them more agile, and lower costs. To learn more about AWS, visit https://aws.amazon.com.
The AWS Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) team is an expanding and dynamic team that is critical to enabling AWS’s growth around the world, as well as ensuring compliance of AWS’s global operations, including physical data centers, as well as other AWS facilities, customer-facing enterprises and products. The EHS team has responsibility for architecting and implementing AWS’s global environmental and safety programs. This includes defining and implementing risk and compliance systems and driving their continuous improvement; setting and refining global policies and procedures; overseeing the of standards, tools, auditing and metrics, and employee training; ensuring effective engagement by environmental and health & safety teams on global initiatives, including those that are part of Amazon’s ambitious sustainability goals; providing specialist expertise; and engaging with all AWS business units to provide scalable and effective environmental and health & safety compliance strategies that support current and future business objectives while ensuring employee safety and compliance with environmental and health & safety regulations.
The Regional Environmental Engineer (REE) will be responsible for environmental compliance at Amazon Web Services (AWS) data centres in Melbourne, Victoria. The REE will develop standards and policies to support regulatory compliance and provide environmental compliance guidance for regional operations and construction teams. The individual will complete environmental performance analysis, establish and monitor metrics, and guide the teams in implementation of Amazon environmental standards. The REE will work with internal and external partners that include government entities, contractors, consultants, design, construction, operations and other key stakeholders. This position is based in Melbourne and will require regular domestic travel and occasional international travel.
The Regional Environmental Engineer must have excellent communication skills, strong environmental regulatory knowledge, particularly with respect to Victorian regulations and standards, demonstrated success in program , and experience leading teams in complex and technical projects.
· Manage and oversee compliance with local and federal environmental regulations and Amazon policy.
· Develop regional strategic programs by integrating with engineering, construction, and operations.
· Drive an environmentally responsible culture within the organization.
· Function as a leader regarding regulatory agency interactions, permit evaluation and processing, and new process and technology introduction
· Ensure work performed by contractors, consultants, and employees is completed in accordance with Amazon standards.
· Develop environmental metrics to measure, monitor and forecast performance
· Conduct thorough and accurate environmental audits for continuous improvement.
· Prioritize and manage multiple technically complex assignments concurrently.
· Represent Amazon at appropriate levels with governmental agencies and throughout the company.
· Build collaborative relationships with various stakeholders to ensure risks are identified early and managed appropriately.
· Submit time critical reports to various governmental agencies
· Complete thorough and accurate environmental investigations and associated regulatory reports and develop appropriate corrective actions
· A completed Bachelor’s Degree in chemistry, chemical or environmental engineering or related field of study.
· Minimum of 7 years of experience serving as an environmental technical resource, environmental , program specialist, or program manager
· Experience with contractual, regulatory, and liability assessments, permit evaluations and applications, planning approvals, water discharge requirements, and waste management
· Broad knowledge of Australian environmental regulations and programs
· Experience leading change in multiple site environments and the ability to influence those that are not direct reports or within your organization
· Experience successfully implementing environmental systems
· Excellent organizational and project management skills
· Strong interpersonal skills: excellent communication skills, strong relationship builder, solid influencing and negotiation skills, and the ability to coach at multiple levels
· Proficient with MS Excel, Word, and Windows Operating Systems
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including comfort interfacing with senior leaders inside and outside the company
· Experience in a fast paced, changing/growing organization
· Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving ability
Amazon.com is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation/ Age.