Africa Regional Program Manager (Water)
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyze action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats.
The GCA will operate as a regional centre of excellence in addressing all matters relating to climate adaptation in accordance with the specific needs of the African region, and leveraging domestic and international expertise to support the region’s challenge in responding to and continuing to prosper in the changing climate:
- Collaborating with national, regional and international partners, acting as a valuable solutions broker on all matters relating to climate adaptation
- Bringing together best practice, advancing research and sharing the solutions relevant to the host country and region.
- Leveraging domestic and mobilizing international expertise to support the host country and region’s challenge in responding to and continuing to prosper in the changing climate.
The GCA’s work program in Africa will cover the 3 pillars of GCA activities as follows:
- Programs and Actions, which entails working on: (i) supporting the Africa Adaptation Initiative’s Work Program; (ii) Operationalizing the bold ideas and action tracks of the GCA; (iii) Supporting GCF direct access entities;
- Capacity and Knowledge Acceleration, which includes: (i) strengthening governance structures and coordination mechanisms; (ii) exploring opportunities to mobilize domestic resources and policy interventions for adaptation, particularly around the mainstreaming of resilience into financial decision making; (iii) piloting financial, technical or technological innovations for adaptation and (iv) knowledge management.
- Agenda Setting and Advocacy, which will imply working on: (i) Mobilizing political and high-level leadership around Adaptation in Africa; (ii) Mobilizing African Business Leaders and governments to mobilize private finance to marshal adaptation in Africa; (iii) Mobilizing African Voices and Global Climate Fora and (iv) Mobilizing African stakeholders for Adaptation;
We are looking for a dynamic and highly motivated individual to fill the role of Regional Program Manager for Water, working as core team member to drive forward the GCA’s ambitions and its role as a solutions broker to create the conditions for successful and accelerated adaptation. The suitable incumbent for this position will support the implementation of an ambitious water adaptation program in medium and small towns and will drive the future expansion of GCA’s water programmes in Africa. The incumbent an in-dept understanding and broad understanding of the water sector combined with a demonstratable track record of successful implementation of large-scale innovative projects that make an impact on the ground. He or she is able to inspire and connect stakeholders even when interests are seemingly unaligned. The Regional Program Manager will report jointly to the Director of Programs, through the Program Lead Water, and the Regional Director for Africa.
The Africa Regional Program Manager takes lead on the following areas:
- In coordination with GCA’s Program Lead Water and the Africa Regional Director further develop the strategy and implementation framework of GCA’s water-urban program in Africa.
- Lead the day-to-day implementation of GCA’s water-urban program in Africa including but not limited to procurement, contract management, planning and progress monitoring, progress reporting and budget monitoring.
- In coordination and close consultation with GCA’s Program Lead Water provide technical guidance and oversight to the development and implementation of large and complex water-urban programs.
- Develop and foster a project pipeline that creates space and energy for incremental and systemic innovation that result in the on-the-ground acceleration and scaling up of climate adaptation.
- Drive an intense program, in coordination with regional and international partners, to build capacity of national and local government and non-governmental stakeholders.
- Further expand and maintain GCA’s network of international, national and local stakeholders in the water-urban adaptation sector.
- Support the development and expansion of a pipeline of forward looking adaptation projects including projects linked to rural water security, integrated water resource management, and so on.
- Participate in relevant workshops and meetings in order to keep abreast with the ongoing trends in climate change adaptation and its implications on the GCA agenda and strategy.
- Represent GCA in regional and global for a to discuss GCA’s water and related programs.
- Support the preparation of knowledge products – e.g. policy briefs, news stories, reports – on GCA’s activities.
- Support the on-the-job strengthening of GCA staff and partner organizations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree or PhD. in environmental studies, civil engineering, development studies or other relevant fields
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in the implementation of complex and large-scale innovative projects and programmes in the water or urban sector, preferably in Africa. Experience with a multilateral development bank is considered to be of added advantage.
- In-depth understanding of the water-urban climate adaptation debate and a demonstrable ability to translate conceptual frameworks into on the ground approaches and solutions.
- Strong planning and operational skills–including procurement and contract management–and a demonstrable sense of urgency and ability to work under tight deadlines in a team setting while maintaining an empowering a solution-oriented approach.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with diverse stakeholders at different technical and strategic levels– senior government officials, municipal authorities, representatives of multilateral development banks, development partners, and so on.
- Strong client and communications skills, backed by an ability to communicate orally and in writing effectively in English and to articulate and present ideas well both in writing and orally to a diverse audience of stakeholders at technical and strategic levels. Working knowledge of French considered to be of additional advantage.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and proven ability to function effectively as an empowering team leader or team member of multi-disciplinary and multicultural teams and to resolve conflicts constructively.
- Unquestionable integrity and adherence to the highest ethical standards.
What we offer
The GCA offers a dynamic, high profile and international working environment in a growing organization. You will have the opportunity to draw upon the substantial expertise available at the GCA and its partner organizations across the world and will be given an opportunity to support the shaping of international policies and global action on climate change, working at the highest governmental levels and collaborating with governments on all continents.
The post will be located at the GCA’s Regional Office for Africa in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire on a full-time basis (40 hours per week).
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit your motivation letter and CV at gca.recruitee.com before 20:00 pm CEST on 30 December 2020. Kindly mention the date as of which you would be available to start in Abidjan and/or remotely due to COVID-19.
Equal Employment Opportunities Statement
GCA does not discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Thank you for sharing this vacancy with suitable candidates.