Environmental Engagement Manager
Limited term contract (9 month contract)
In this position, you will help WRI México teams build a coordinated and high impact strategy to accelerate a new climate economy through strategic and bilateral climate action (Mexico-USAID in Mexico. In order to do this, you will coordinate closely with national and subnational governments, civil society, leading academics and private sector to stay informed on critical political and market trends that can inform WRI’s strategy in the country. You will work closely with WRI’s Public Affairs and Climate teams to ensure climate work in the country remains relevant and visible with our stakeholders. You will help to grow and maintain WRI’s strategic partnerships, mainly to facilitate bilateral meetings and climate exchanges that allow us to grow our impact in Mexico to support an affordable, low-carbon and resilient economic transition. You will report the Mexico office Public Affairs Director, Climate Director and the Global Engagement leader provide strategic guidance.
- Engage with partners and stakeholders in the north American to help the Mexican and global teams to ensure our strategy in the country will lead to positive change.
- Facilitate our engagement with civil society, national and subnational governments, private sector and other partners in the development and implementation of our strategic plans and program strategies.
- Facilitate WRI’s engagement with partners to inform their policies, strategies and programs with our research and insights.
- Develop and execute strategies to engage partners in mutually beneficial relationships, including potential funding opportunities and impact-focused programming.
- Build strong partnerships with key institutional partners in Mexico.
- Provide and analyze the political and social context for the climate initiatives.
- Develop stakeholder maps and targeted strategies
Communications and Stewardship
- Represent WRI in relevant national and international events where funders and partners are actively engaged. Partnership meeting, and other regional clean energy or climate workshops.
- Serve as an effective ambassador within the international development community for WRI’s work in Mexico.
Management and Administration
- Provide input to Mexico teams to help developing high-impact workplans and milestones for WRI’s Mexico Strategy.
- Manage relationships with key regional partners
Contribute to institutional priorities, organizational capacity development, and global network collaboration. This includes:
- Strengthen collaboration and realize synergies across all WRI programs in the region.
- Maintain up-to-date contacts and engagement tracking in Salesforce database to monitor progress, capture opportunities, and avoid any institutional conflicts; and support internal efforts to encourage institutional donor pipeline development
- Bachelor's degree in international relations or political sciences. Knowledge and experience in diplomacy, public relations, public affaires
- Master's degree. Good technical understanding of environmental, climate change and development policy issues at national and regional levels in Mexico is essential
- 8 years of relevant experience working on public affairs mainly in climate, finance and development issues in Mexico, within a bilateral or international development organization
- Experience in designing and implementing public affairs strategies and political engagement actions
- Knowledge of legislative processes and federal instruments. Budgets, laws, federal programs, norms and international agreements.
- Experience in developing and organizing complex funding for government and foundation audiences
- English and Spanish fluency required; additional language skills a plus
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment, with a diverse staff, across multiple time zones
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and be flexible on changing priorities
- Exceptional writing, proofreading, and presentation skills
- Commitment to WRI’s mission and values
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365, SharePoint and Salesforce a plus
- Diplomacy: Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills; a demonstrated ability to diplomatically and effectively guide peers and directors through strategy conception to concrete proposed deliverables focused on impact at global scale; effectiveness negotiating with persons in government, business, academia, NGOs, and the media
- Cross-cultural communication: Ability to represent our programs and projects in a wide variety of international settings
- Management: Comfortable working with a number of development and environment issues and partners; able to establish priorities and communicate these effectively within WRI and to partners and funders