Philippines nationals: WASH Engineer
You'll contribute to ending world hunger by ...
- To contribute to the improvement of live-saving and urgent humanitarian needs of the returning internally displaced population affected during Bagyong Ulysses.
- As part of the Action Against Hunger Philippine Mission WASH operational areas, the WASH Engineer will be in charge of all technical activities related to WASH construction, community mobilization activities and will ensure the efficient and smooth implementation of the WASH component of the project in Action Against Hunger targeted areas.
Key activities in your role will include
Objective 1: Programming
- Carry out or participate in technical assessments at field level.
- Conduct the wáter and sanitation marketing assessments.
- Conduct the feasibilities, design and Bill Of Quantity (BoQs) development for installation of WASH facilities/systems.
- Implement and monitor day-to day activities according to BoQs and drawings in collaboration with the skilled and unskilled Labour.
- Prepare regular reports on the progress of installation of wáter points for the assigned sites.
- Ensure the quality and quantity of material at field as per BoQs and according to way bills.
- Ensure completeness and quality of construction work base on the work plan and schedules.
- Ensure the good respect of working conditions while in the field, especially the respect to Action Against Hunger Code of Conduct and standard operating procedures for the area of operation and safety rules on the construction site.
- Issue and sign the work done certificates as per Action Against Hunger design.
- Ensure safety procedures and rules are respected in the field by all workers.
- Have the technical and experiential capacity to train and organize BAWASA groups.
- Conduct necessary higiene promotion training for community volunteers.
- Turn-over of WASH facilities/systems installed to community-based committees or agencies such as BAWASA, WASH committee.
- Conduct capacity building for WASH Committee/BAWASA for the sustainability of built WASH facilities/ systems.
- Lead hygiene promotion activities in the target áreas.
Objective 2: Monitoring and Reporting
- Systematic consolidating, submission to the Head of Project, and archiving of project technical documents to facilitate organizational level learning, memory and reporting
- Collection and archiving of Source of Verification (SoVs) based on the activities, indicators and agreed format / tools and submit to the Head of Project
- Comply with the necessary branding and communications guidelines of the organization.
Objective 3: Finance and Admin responsibilities
- Prepare the daily workers payment sheet and payment documents for Workers/contractors as needed
- Support to line manager for timely submitting daily payments sheets
- Organize day-to-day logistics, administration, and personnel activities
- Manage all related program equipment and materials in close consultation with the logistics/procurement focal point. Maintain and ensure proper project asset register
Objective 4: To ensure integration and linkage to other sectors at the base level
- To make link with other sectors (WASH and FSL) for integration and complementary between projects/activities
- Support the other sectors of the project as required
- Ensure and maintain the working relationship with the local partners, stakeholders and LGUs
- Participate in meetings with the relevant stakeholders and partners as needed and requested by the Health Officer
Objective 5: Emergency Response
WASH Engineer should available anytime in times of urgent / emergency needs:
- Participate Initial Rapid Assessment
- Identify the emergency WASH needs and plan and implement the emergency WASH activities
- Coordination with camps, communities, and government staff at field level
- Ensure the water testing is done on time
- Daily reporting and updates of field activities
Objective 6: Safety and Security
- Adhere to the Mission Reporting system and submit the reports requested on-time
- Respect the Security rules of Action Against Hunger and coordinate with the Security Officer / Head of Project for any security issues relating to work
- Report any security or other incidents in the field that may interrupt project activities directly to Security Officer / Head of Project.
Do you meet the profile required criteria?
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other relevant fields
- Technical Knowledge:
- Familiarity with the WASH in Emergencies mínimum standards.
- Mobilization of the community conflict related issues in WASH activities.
- Familiarity with the local culture, ability to develop respect from a wide range of people and strong ability to communicate effectively on hygiene matters.
- At least two (2) years’ experience in WASH in Emergencies and community mobilization in relation to water and sanitation activities.
- Has experience working in an emergency response
- Excellent English and Filipino language. Speaking the Bicol dialect is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of Office package (Word and Excel)
- Valuable prior experience in issues related to the promotion of gender equality or personal commitment to gender equality.
Our remuneration package:
- Compensation: based on Action Against Hunger grid.
- Benefits: health insurance, accident and life insurance, leave entitlement, government-mandated benefits
- Project-based Employment
Action against Hunger is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work such as but not limited to sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and/or financial misconduct; We expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through endorsing our code of conduct and other related policies and only those who share our values and code of conduct will be recruited to work for us.