The ENR Global Practice (GP) aims to deliver on the opportunities, benefits and outcomes offered by enhanced management of the environment and natural resources. The ENR GP has close to 300 operations under management, representing close to $7 billion, and a growing pipeline of new investments under development. It also staffs the Bank’s environmental safeguards for all of its operations and works on strengthening country systems to protect the environment. The practice consists of some 275 staff across the world plus numerous other staff in other parts of the Bank that are professionally associated with it.
The Environment and Natural Resources Global Practice:
1. Provides clients with lending and non-lending services aimed to support the GP’s three core business lines, namely: (i) Forests, Watersheds and Sustainable Landscapes; (ii) Marine, Coastal and Aquatic Resources; and (iii) Pollution Management and Environmental Health. The GP’s activities also include a focus on Clean and Resilient Growth through its work on environmental economics and support to institutional development.
2. Supports effective environmental risk management and sustainability by managing risk at the project level and creating opportunities to advance sustainable development, in part through the implementation of the Bank’s environmental policies.
3. Works closely with other sectors, including by leveraging GEF grant financing, to mainstream environmental considerations into their policies, strategies, and operations.
The ENR GP Front Office has a small team to support the work of the Senior Director and Director. As a key member of the GENDR Front Office Team, the Operations Officer will have the opportunity to contribute to the achievement of the Global Practice’s goals and will play a critical role in implementation of the overall work program of the GP through the development and implementation of the Global Practice strategy and associated work programs.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Operations Officer will work closely with the Senior Practice Director (SrPD) and Practice Director (PD) in the execution of the Front Office responsibilities, support the smooth running of the Front Office and effective collaboration and coordination within the GP and with the various Bank GPs as well as external stakeholders. For this purpose, s/he will also work the GP’s Practice Manager for Strategy and Operations (PMSO), the PMSO team as well as all the regional Practice Managers. The main duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Coordinate overall workflow of the GP Senior Director’s Office in close coordination with the GP Director’s Office, ensuring follow-through on key actions;
• Be an active participant in GP-wide discussions of an organizational, strategic and operational nature and help translate into actions through work programs;
• Prepare comments/inputs for operational, knowledge and convening activities;
• Develop key documents/position papers prepared by the Director or Sr. Director;
• Ensure follow-up on actions, decisions and key scheduled events and commitments, including from the leadership team meetings;
• Prepare inputs/deliverables for the President’s office, Bank’s senior management, corporate units, the Board, and the Vice Presidency for Sustainable Development (SDVP);
• Support the efforts of the front office in managing partnerships/relationships with stakeholders and external partners;
• Support the efforts of the front office in managing donor relations;
• Coordinate activities that will facilitate the collaboration with other GPs and CCSAs
• Coordinate special, high visibility GP events (e.g. Annual/Spring Meetings);
• Provide inputs and collaborate with the Communications Lead for the GP; and
• Ad hoc tasks necessary for the smooth functioning and effectiveness of the Front office
This position requires a strong ability to work effectively in a team environment and integrate inputs, by working across units and at all levels throughout the GP and the Bank Group. Main selection criteria include:
• Master’s degree with five years of relevant experience or PhD and three years of relevant experience.
• Solid knowledge of Environment and Natural Resources Management topics;
• Excellent communication writing and presentation skills;
• Excellent workflow management and task organization skills; able to take responsibility for all aspects of the workflow of assigned responsibilities.
• Knowledge and experience with World Bank operations is an advantage but not a requirement
• Knowledge and Experience in Development
• Strong Analytical and Strategic Capacities – Strong skills for both analysis and synthesis. Demonstrated ability to take initiative, lead, think strategically, be innovative and translate ideas into actions. Sees the bigger picture and is able to undertake and lead the deep dives when required. Is insightful and resourceful in terms of strategic positioning and identifying key entry points and opportunities.
• Client Orientation – Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
• Drive for Results – Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
• Policy Dialogue Skills – Anticipates needs and requests in the field and conducts independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and non-government partners.