Project Assistant for Water and Sanitation Division
Background of this search:
The Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA) is looking for a Project Assistant.
The team’s mission:
Established in 1959, the Inter-American Development Bank (“IDB” or “Bank”) is the main source of financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing countries.
Demand for development lending by the Latin America and the Caribbean Region (the LAC Region) has increased in recent years. This rising demand accelerated after the global financial crisis hit the LAC Region and IDB has kept pace with it through an increase in financing.
The Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA) within the Bank is committed to expanding access to quality services for low-income and vulnerable populations, promoting comprehensive and sustainable solutions, improving sector governance and financial sustainability, and incorporating the concept of water security in the sector, particularly by increasing wastewater treatment coverage, protecting supply watersheds and reducing flooding risk.
Our Division works with the country departments to design and execute financial and non-financial programs and evaluates the development results of such interventions. It also performs quality improvement functions for social development projects and programs, including guiding, crafting and preparing Bank products’, execution, and analysis and mitigation of risks.
What you’ll do: The consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Support the Division in activities such as publishing/filing official documents, editing, and reviewing documents/proposals when assigned to ensure effective delivery of the Division.
- Participate in identification, preparation, and analysis of financing requests for projects (loans and technical assistance) received by the WSA from external and internal clients.
- Administrative support in the loan and technical cooperation preparation process.
- Assist in monitoring projects implementation, including support to project teams in supervision missions.
- Prepare mission announcements for approval in Convergence, updating the Division’s shared calendar for official mission and leave.
- Coordinate logistics for meetings, seminars and events, such as preparation of letters of agreement (LOA) for guests participating in Division organized meetings and seminars or hotel arrangements as necessary.
- Process Division’s requests for hiring consultants, as necessary.
- Supervise INE/WSA’s tasks including programming agendas, meetings, travel authorizations, field visits, trainings events, workshops, etc.
- Perform background research as needed including availability of international firms, country profiles and travel risks.
- Coordination and monitoring of division wide implementation of instructions from management (division chief or above), technical or administrative, to be implemented by all specialists and consultants working within the division.
- Provides Front Office support to the Resource Planner with general administrative matters including but not limited to ordering supplies, computer equipment and other services for the Division, as requested.
- Other duties as might be necessary to support the effective delivery of administrative services within the Division.
- Provide administrative support to the Division Chief with agenda management, travel arrangements, clearing and reviewing of all documents for signature and other duties, as requested.
What you’ll need:
Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
Education: Associate degree/Technical diploma in Business Administration or any related subject.
Experience: Less than two years of relevant work experience. Having worked at the IDB and having experience in operational, events planning, and administrative support is a plus.
Languages: Excellent oral and written command of English and Spanish.
Core and Technical Competencies:
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), and internet use;
- Ability to work independently, with initiative and responsibility, and establish work priorities;
- Ability to work with all personnel to complete work assignments, achieve common goals, and contribute towards a positive work environment;
- Ability to work with multiple tasks and deadlines;
- Excellent communications skills a must
- Type of contract and modality: Full-time consultant.
- Length of contract: 12 months.
- Starting date: February 2021.
- Location: IDB Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
- Person Responsible: Resource and Planning Sr Analyst.
- Requirements: You must be citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the Bank Group.
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, afro-descendants, and indigenous people to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
“Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.”
- External Opening Date: Dec 14, 2020
- External Closing Date: Dec 25, 2020
- External Contact Email:
- External Contact Name: HR Shared Services
- Job Field: Technical Support