U.S. nationals: Environmental Protection Specialist
This position is located on the Engineering and Environmental Staff (EES) in the Water and Environmental Programs of the Rural Utilities Service (RUS). The primary function of this staff is to provide professional assistance and technical expertise in the areas of the environmental and ecological sciences and environmental impact analyses for all RUS program actions.
Learn more about this agency
- Incumbent is responsible for the review and acceptance of proposal related environmental impact analyses and documentation submitted by applicants for agency-financed electric, telecommunications, and water and waste disposal proposals.
- Prepares or reviews and analyzes proposal specific environmental impact analyses and documentation prepared and submitted by agency applicants and borrowers or their consultants for proposals.
- Consults with a variety of regulatory or resource agency and tribal officials or the public.
- Resolves or negotiates outstanding issues of a complex or sensitive ecological or political nature and prepares written comments reflecting agency views on the issue.
- Considering all applicable environmental issues of the proposals, makes recommendations as to whether the borrower has considered all reasonable alternatives.
- Prepares proposal-specific procurement documentation, statements of work, governmental cost estimates, work plans, budget documentation and any associated interagency or necessary agreements.
- Provides comprehensive knowledge of management practices and procedures to resolve problems of major significance to agency environmental compliance activities.
- Manages all environmental compliance requirements for agency programs and proposals by providing expert advice and guidance on environmental issues to agency staff at all levels.