Somalia nationals: WASH /Hygiene Promotion Assistant
The WASH Assistant Hygiene Promotion will work with under the overall leadership of the Senior WASH Officer and WASH Coordinator for the implementation of the IRC WASH program in Somalia, but directly supervised by the WASH Officer. The WAHP will train IDPs and host communities on proper hygiene practices. Will organize and build the capacity of Hygiene Committees in IDP camps and villages throughout the Districts of Hobyo & Galkacyo in Mudug region. The WAHP will create links between the IRC, the community elders, the community at large and other stakeholders.
Community Mobilization and Sensitization
- To ensure that existing hygiene promotion activities are being undertaken correctly in designated project locations, usually in coordination with other WASH activities.
- To facilitate community hygiene outreach for internally displaced people (IDPs) in villages including the host communities.
- To participate in surveys of selected communities, and monitor social change and new social information relevant to the community empowerment.
- To ensure effective and timely reporting of activities undertaken on a weekly basis.
- To identify potential leaders and/or organizers.
- To identify capacity building needs of the beneficiary community and organize focal person trainings.
- Identify and train volunteer community hygiene promoters.
- Organize and conduct hygiene promotion trainings for school going children based on child-to-child participatory hygiene promotion methods.
Technical & Reporting
- Directly implement hygiene promotion activities in the communities; this includes household visits, hygiene awareness sessions and distribution of hygiene promotion materials.
- Coordinate closely with the WASH Officer-Water and Sanitation and Hygiene Promoters over water quality and beneficiary needs and preferences regarding water collection points.
- If requested, participate in any inter sectorial assessment process, including analysis and planning.
- Directly manage the day to day hygiene promotion activities in the field.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities meet stated objectives within the timeframe.
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming.
- Distribute Information, Communication and Education (IEC) materials to Community hygiene Promoters.
- Provide technical support and training for hygiene promoters and community volunteers.
- Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records.
- Provide weekly reports of progress on hygiene promotion activities.
- In liaison with the WASH Officer and the Senior WASH Officer, design appropriate water safety and treatment methods.
- Assist in the design and interpretation of the water treatment formulations for different purposes.
- Closely monitor the quality of water sources and apply corrective measures as necessary.
- Organize and monitor community and/ or casual labor work teams as required.
- A degree in Public Health or related certificates.
- Work experience in community Water, Sanitation and Hygiene program.
- Fluent English (written and spoken).
- Competent with using Computer, especially Microsoft Office Applications.
- Good mathematical skills.
- A good planner, attention to detail, proactive, team player, transparent and honest.
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure.
- Good communication skills.
- Culturally Sensitive and ability to adapt to stressful situations.
- Excellent Interpersonal and Negotiation Skills.