Rainwater Management Engineer
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Development Water Resources Management Branch is looking for a water resource engineer to support rainwater management and green infrastructure implementation through development on private property. This position will provide leadership and engineering expertise as part of an inter-disciplinary, inter-departmental team responsible for implementing the City’s Rain City Strategy. The role will support the City’s efforts to be a leader in clean water, green buildings, access to nature in the urban environment, improving equity, fostering a green economy and building a resilient city in the face of a changing climate.
Reporting to the Senior Rainwater Management Engineer, this position provides engineering input, development application review, project and process management and communications related to on-site rainwater management. The position will also support process improvement through the development of internal documents, tools, policies and strategies to improve the review process and to support excellent customer service, efficient and effective service delivery and compliance with rainwater management guidelines and regulations. The position works collaboratively with other design review groups and project coordinators in Planning, Urban Design & Sustainability, Developments, Building & Licensing, and numerous Engineering branches including the Development and Major Projects Branch.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Development Review and Policy Administration
- Reviews stormwater management servicing, rainwater management and green infrastructure requirements for development proposals at various stages (ranging from policy statements, rezoning, development permit, building permit, and occupancy permit issuance)
- Writes commentaries, prepares terms of reference, and reviews compliance with City regulations, bylaws and guidelines related to water-related servicing
- Reviews and comments on technical plans and studies for City acceptance
- Works with project coordinators, project facilitators, engineering consultants and certified professionals to resolve development-related rainwater management issues
- Provides guidance and interprets the Rainwater Management Bulletin and other applicable policies for developers, architects, consultants, the public and other staff to ensure requirements and objectives are being met
- Serves the public and applicants/property owners by responding to enquiries/concerns relating to the rainwater management aspects of developments
- Provides technical guidance and direction in reviewing the compliance of rezoning and development applications with the Department/City’s pertinent by-laws and guidelines
- Represents Engineering at meetings and events
Research & Development
- Keeps abreast of emerging practices, policies and innovations
- Assists in the development of internal standards, practices and policies to improve the review process and support development procedures and submission requirements
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering and minimum of three years’ related experience working in municipal development and permitting processes, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer or Engineer-in-Training in British Columbia
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the application of engineering principles related to hydraulics, hydrology, water systems, rainwater management and green infrastructure
- Experience in the application of engineering principles and techniques to the implementation of green infrastructure and rainwater managements system such as bio-retention, sub-surface infiltration, green roofs, detention tanks, water harvest and re-use and water quality treatment systems
- Working knowledge of municipal development review processes. Familiarity with City bylaws, policies, and guidelines (e.g. Rezoning Policy, Rainwater Management Bulletin) an asset
- Familiarity with the Vancouver Building Bylaw and/or the BC Building Code is an asset
- Working knowledge of Organizational Quality Management processes and frameworks is an asset
- Familiarity in the use of computer design and modelling software such as PCSWMM, ArcGIS and AutoCAD desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including experience writing technical reports, and strong presentation skills
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate and engage staff
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize actions in response to numerous and diverse demands
- Strong conflict resolution, mediation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability in utility design, construction and project management
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and tact
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February, 2021
Application Close: January 10, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.