By specializing and being familiar with the trends and policies in ADB’s agriculture, rural development, and food security sector/subsector, the Natural Resources and Agriculture Sector Officer conducts research and analysis to support the department in specific policy and sector work. The Officer also assists in technical assistance (TA) activities and conducts network and database management for ADB.
General research to support sector work• Undertakes general research independently to support policy and agriculture, rural development and food security sector work (in one or a combination of several of the areas), which includes: -Monitoring and analyzing policy and sector issues; -Identifying best practices in the sector; -Conducting and supervising data collection and analyses; and -Preparing policy and sector research papers and briefing notes.• Tracks news coverage and other indicators to monitoring the overall performance of ADB’s sector/subsector operations. • Contributes independently to the preparation of ADB’s sectoral/subsectoral report for Management.
Supports TA activities• Assists in preparation and administration of regional TA including: -Contributing in consultant selection and recruitment; -Reviewing consultants’ outputs; -Editing TA manuscripts for circulation or publication; and -Facilitating coordination of technical assistance activities.
Network and database management• Coordinates the activities of Thematic Group (TG)-Rural Development & Food Security (Agriculture) by organizing meetings, formal and informal seminars, and workshops for TG-(Agriculture) members.• Assists in the coordination and maintenance of partnerships with external institutions and agencies, including: -Maintaining databases on external network contacts;
-Tracking policy changes, sector lending and TA patterns, policy/sector roadmaps and timelines, sector performance, case studies, good practices, and other relevant parameters; -Coordinating ADB responses on external inquiries/invitations on sectoral matters; -Preparing appropriate communications on Management’s responses on issues related to ADB’s sectoral operations; and -Liaising with ADB’s internal emergency management system.
Operations Support• Assist in the preparation of various management briefs in agriculture and food security issues.• Responsible in updating portfolio and pipeline projects under Agriculture and Food Security.
Knowledge Sharing• Responsible in the update of K-Nexus;• Participate in various knowledge sharing activities within Agriculture, Rural Development & Food Security Unit (SDCC-AR).• Responsible in preparing quarterly Newsletter for TG (Agriculture)
Administrative support • Assists in the preparation of the division’s work program with estimated source requirements, accomplishment reports, three-year rolling work program, and ADB annual report. • Contributes to the preparation of annual budget by consolidating the Division’s work program and preparing corresponding financial resource requirements and background materials• Assists in the coordination of the division’s inputs to the department’s information system.
Others• Other duties that may be assigned as reflected in the incumbent’s workplan.
Application of Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Applies updated advancements in own knowledge area to relevant tasks
- Applies knowledge and practical skills to independently perform some complex tasks
- Conveys the need to use updated project approaches
- Delivers Divisional contributions across a variety of products and services to meet the needs of different clients
- Proposes options to clients that may better meet their needs than current approaches
- Defines and delivers to agreed standards with clients
Achieving Results and Problem Solving
- Conducts detailed research and analysis to determine appropriate methods for addressing the causes of issues
- Self-monitors achievement of results according to work plans
- Identifies different stakeholder needs and desired outcomes when planning for outcomes
- Independently solves problems and makes recommendations
- Maintains collaborative relationships within the Department
- Works effectively with diverse colleagues in own and other Divisions and Departments
- Flexibly alters positions and adjusts previously stated points of view to support the group consensus
- Follows through on team priorities in the absence of a team leader
Communication and Knowledge Sharing
- Checks with audience’s level of understanding and awareness of required follow up actions
- Consistently seeks and addresses feedback on own performance
- Creates knowledge products endorsed for wider distribution
- Independently amends and clarifies messages and documents
Innovation and Change
- Actively supports work improvement and/or organizational change by work and deed
- Develops and adopts change plans to support Division initiatives on which one works
- Considers current and future client needs in proposing ideas
- Vocalizes early support for change
- Recommends inputs to new policies, systems and processes in immediate work area
- Bachelor’s degree in a field directly related to sectoral work, preferably with advanced training
Work experience• At least 8 years relevant experience in sectoral project and research work:
Technical knowledge• Knowledge of ADB products, processes, and systems on project/program processing and other programming activities.• Demonstrated strong research, writing and presentation skills.• Effective report-writing and communication skills in English.
People and leadership skills• Able to liaise and work effectively with internal and external stakeholders of ADB • Able to work collaboratively with teams as a constructive team member.• Able to mentor AS staff to facilitate work planning, delivery and quality review.
• Supervisor: Designated International Staff and Senior National Staff
We encourage diversity in our workplace and support an inclusive and respectful work environment.