Marketing and Outreach Associate
Reports to: Marketing Director
Hours: Part-time (20 hours/week), funding secured through 2022
Salary: $22,470 plus partial benefits
Close Date: Open until filled. Application review begins December 28, 2020.
The Marketing and Outreach Associate for HRWC is primarily responsible for the successful planning and implementation of environmental education and outreach programming that supports several distinct but related projects across the organization. Projects are generally focused on reducing stormwater runoff, climate change and other impacts to the Huron River and the waterbodies in the Downriver Detroit area. Project objectives include raising awareness of the watersheds and water quality issues among targeted populations and changing attitudes and behaviors in order to reduce pollution and increase environmental health and climate resiliency. The Marketing and Outreach Associate is familiar with the principals of behavior change marketing and employs the use of a variety of creative strategies and techniques to achieve measurable results. They work closely with HRWC project and marketing staff, grant administrators and external partners and vendors such as government contacts, other environmental nonprofits or consultants, and graphic design, print and mail contractors to develop outreach programming and materials. They independently produce and distribute strategic and impactful multi-channel content using their graphic design and copy writing skills and their knowledge of digital marketing.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and recommend marketing strategies that support project objectives and that use methods (including quantitative and qualitative research) for measuring project effectiveness and change in target audience awareness, attitudes and behavior
- Work within budgets and timelines to implement projects and track and report results
- Produce print, digital and other educational content through copywriting and graphic design that incorporates HRWC and partner branding
- Hire and supervise contractors to help produce and distribute materials
- Liaise between project staff and partners to facilitate decision-making
- Identify and supervise HRWC volunteers and interns
- Represent HRWC and partners at public events and outdoor festivals primarily during the spring and summer seasons, some public speaking involved
Qualified Candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates Degree (with focus in communications, marketing or graphic design preferred) and 3 years related work experience or 5 years related work experience
- Creative approach to marketing, communications and outreach
- Accountability for projects, goals and outcomes
- Ability to pick up and run with existing projects that already have scope, timeline and budget
- Experience designing, writing, editing and proofreading materials
- Mastery of graphic design software (Adobe Creative Suite) and excellent graphic design skills including the ability to quickly develop visually engaging digital and print materials
- Excellent writing skills including ability to write clear impactful messaging and calls to action
- Knowledge of and experience using Google Analytics, social media, email and digital marketing tools
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods for marketing
- Good at working independently and collaborating as part of a small organizational team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365
- A commitment to the principals of diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and the watershed
- Demonstrated interest in environmental issues
- Familiarity with Southeast Michigan and the Downriver area in particular
- Interest in engaging the public and community decision-makers
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those necessary to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform them.
- Willingness to travel within four-county area in southeastern Michigan
- Available to work some evenings and weekends.
- The employee is regularly required to, stand, sit, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. Specific vision abilities required include close vision requirements due to computer work.
- Able to meet the demands of the work environment including physical activity (setting up an outreach booth with educational materials and other event-related tasks including carrying up to 25 pounds), being in indoor and outdoor locations in a variety of temperatures, light conditions, activity and noise levels.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license in the State of Michigan and have access to a vehicle for working at events throughout the watershed.
HRWC is observing COVID-19 safety precautions. The office is located in Ann Arbor, but candidates should be willing to work remotely as needed.
To apply, please submit an online application here. After you submit the form, you will be prompted to send your cover letter, resume and writing sample.
INTERVIEW CANDIDATES SHOULD BE PREPARED TO SHOW EXAMPLES OF PAST WORK AND PROVIDE THREE REFERENCES.