Associate Professor in Sustainable Urban Development, Water and Environmental Engineering
Faculty of Technology, Art and Design, Department of Civil Engineering and Energy Technology
OsloMet – Oslo Metropolitan University is one of Norway’s largest universities, with more than 20,000 students and 2,000 employees. OsloMet delivers knowledge to solve societal challenges, in close cooperation with the society and employers. OsloMet is an urban and diverse university with a clear international profile, and an attractive place to work and study with campuses in Oslo city center and at Kjeller in the Municipality of Lillestrøm. Our location in the metropolitan area gives us good opportunities to understand and benefit from the city’s diverse population.
The Faculty of Technology, Art and Design (TKD) offers higher education and research and development (R&D) activities within technical subjects, arts and design. The Faculty has approximately 3.000 students and 280 staff members and is situated at Pilestredet Campus in downtown Oslo and at Kjeller Campus in Viken.
The Department of Civil Engineering and Energy Technology offers bachelors and master’s degree programs in engineering, in addition to research and development activities. The department has approximately 60 staff members and 850 students.
The Department of Civil Engineering and Energy Technology is developing its study portfolio and plans to strengthen its academic environment in sustainable urban development, water and environmental engineering. The department will increase the number of positions contributing to the teaching, research and development of the field of Technical Planning, both at bachelor level and on the new planned master program, Smart Mobility and Urban Analytics. We are looking for an innovative, creative and responsible candidate who is able to lead the teaching in water and environmental engineering at the same time as knowledge in geotechnics and digital twins is also desirable.
Hydraulic and environmental engineering deals with the understanding, planning and design of water and wastewater infrastructure. Treatment and supply of clean water to the population and industry, collection and treatment of wastewater, pipe technology, urban hydrology and stormwater management are the topics on which the subject is based on. Knowledge in one or more fields that deal with the design and dimensioning of treatment systems, detention basins and floodways for stormwater, analysis and interpretation of data related to water chemistry and water quality for drinking water, wastewater, stormwater and recipients is emphasized.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Teaching and supervision of students at bachelor- and master levels
- Strengthen the professional research work within water and sustainability and closely related fields
- ·Actively contribute to the development of high-quality education
- The candiate is also expected to be involved in the university's research community
- The candidate must contribute to further developing courses
- Performing administrative tasks related to educational, research and innovation activities
- PhD in water engineering, water resource management or closely related fields
- Experience in teaching and supervision in higher education
- The applicant must document relevant educational theory and practice for higher education. Applicants who are unable to document basic teaching qualifications on appointment, must acquire these qualifications within two years. OsloMet offers a course on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (UHPED), in English meets this requirement.
- Proficiency in oral and written Norwegian and English is required. Applicants who do not have adequate proficiency in Norwegian must acquire Norwegian skills corresponding to at least level B2 within three years of commencement.
General criteria for appointments to academic positions are covered by the Regulations for appointment and promotion to academic posts.
General criteria for evaluating educational competence is described by OsloMets criterias for evaluating educational competence.
When evaluating the applications, we will emphasize:
- Research and development work relevant to the position. Scientific production from the last six years will be emphasized.
- Excellent cooperation and communication skills
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt teaching and research to the needs of OsloMet and the department, including interdisciplinary collaboration
- Pedagogical skills and teaching experience, and ability to motivate and inspire students and colleagues
- Ability to apply knowledge from various disciplines within sustainable urban development and combine them into new disciplines
- Ability to combine theoretical and practical issues and demonstrate fresh thinking and innovation
OsloMet evaluates teaching qualifications in conjunction with interviews.
It is important for OsloMet to reflect the population of our region, and all qualified candidates are welcome to apply. We make active endeavours to further develop OsloMet as an inclusive workplace and to adapt the workplace if required. If there are periods where you have not been in work, under education or in training, you are also welcome to apply.
Applicants will be assessed by an expert committee. By the application deadline, please upload the following documents together with your application:
- CV (including teaching and supervision experience and the name and contact information of at least three references)
- Full list of publications
- Copies of certificates/diplomas (including formal education in pedagogics, if applicable)
- Up to ten full-text scientific articles, submitted together with a table of contents and a short introduction highlighting the relevance of the article to the profile of the position and a detailed description of the contribution to the article by the applicant
- A text (up to 2 pages) outlining your relevant pedagogical experience and plans for pedagogical activity and development in the position (“teaching statement”) and the pedagocial stance of the applicant. This overview should also include recent student-evaluations.
- A text (up to 2 pages) outlining your relevant research and plans for research activity in the position (“research statement”). This overview should include an overview of existing projects and research collaborators.
- Other relevant documentation
OsloMet has signed and commited the institution to follow the recommendations in the DORA- decleration.
You must upload all the documents in order for your application to be processed. The documents must be in either English or a Scandinavian language. Translations must be authorized. Originals must be presented if you are invited for an interview. OsloMet checks documents in order to give you as a candidate a proper evaluation and ensure fair competition.
If you have documents that cannot be uploaded electronically, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- An exciting job opportunity at Norway’s third largest and most urban university
- Participation in research groups
- Opportunities for academic development in a professional research environment
- Interaction with a diverse student group
- Loan and pension arrangements through the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Beneficial welfare schemes and a wide range of sports and cultural offers
- Free Norwegian language classes to employees and their partners
- Relocation support, cultural courses and on-boarding services
- Working location in downtown Oslo with multiple cultural offers
The position is remunerated in accordance with the Norwegian State salary scale 60-74, job code 1011 Associate Professor. The salary is NOK 535 200 – 694 400 per year. A higher salary may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants.
For more information about the position, feel free to contact:
- Head of Department Hallgrim Hjelmbrekke, e-mail email@example.com, phone +4767236220
If you wish to apply for the position, please do so via our application portal.
Deadline for applications: 04.01.2021
Ref. no: 20/10599
OsloMet is a Charter & Code certified institution by the EU Commisson holding the right to use the logo HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R). OsloMet is a member of the EURAXESS network supporting a positive work environment for researchers in motion.
OsloMet has signed The Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA). DORA recognizes the need to improve the ways in which the outputs of scholarly research are evaluated.