Civil Society Specialist (Mekong for the Future)
Location: WWF GMPO country office (Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam)
WWF International the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a Civil Society Specialist for the USAID-funded Mekong for the Future project activity to be based in one of the five WWF Greater Mekong country offices.
Mekong for the Future is a three year project that will support natural resources governance and transparency across the Greater Mekong through strengthening civil society's ability to engage in natural resource governance and improving their access to, and understanding of, environmental data from public and private sources. The project will strengthen the ability of civil society organizations in the region to coordinate their activities, improve their ability to advocate for and monitor environmental policies, increase transparency and improve their use of environmental data. The Project will work through the WWF offices across all five Greater Mekong Countries (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand and Viet Nam)
MAJOR FUNCTIONS: The Civil Society Specialist will provide technical leadership on building the capacity of civil society to engage with natural resource governance and policy making. She/he will have direct experience working with civil society organisations and networks to coordinate activities and will lead on training civil society to use new tools, strategies, and approaches. The Civil Society Specialist will lead on two of the Intermediate Results in the project activity, focused on building CSO capacity.
Specifically, the Civil Society Specialist will be responsible for the following areas:
- Leadership and management of the Civil Society elements of the project;
- Relevant results are delivered and performance targets are met;
- Strengthening Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and their networks;
- Civil Society capacity building in policy development, oversight, and advocacy;
- Capacity on Civil Society engagement and partnership within WWF, partners and project beneficiaries is built;
- Effective sub-grants to the sub-recipients are well managed;
- WWF as the Principal Recipient (PR) performs as an excellent partner with other stakeholders in the Greater Mekong region, including Civil Society Organisations, local non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, coalitions, platforms, networks of CSOs, and USAID.
- The program contributes its learning and expertise to support other Country Office programs.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership and Technical Guidance (30%)
- Civil society mapping and analysis in the region
- CSO capacity assessment and planning
- Strengthening CSO engagement and partnership in Greater Mekong countries
Contractual Compliance and Financial and Grant Management (25%)
- Planning and providing grants for CSOs based on the results of Civil Society analysis
- Sub-grant for CSOs are managed well, effectively and efficiency
- Capacity building and coaching for CSOs in finance management and finance report
Representation, Networking, and Partnerships (25%)
- Build new networks and strengthen existing networks of CSOs in the region and enabling them to undertake policy advocacy and monitoring in good governance of natural resources
- Coordinate/ Facilitate the learning forum among CSOs (and CSO networks) as learning and exchanging experience in natural resource management
Staff Management and Development (10%)
- Coordinate the project staff of Civil Society project components across the five countries
- Build capacity for project staff in Greater Mekong countries in CSO engagement and partnership
Program Documentation, Monitoring, Learning, and Research (10%)
- Mainstream gender equality and other social safeguard policies of WWF in the indicators and M&E Plan of the project objectives
- Be responsible for the Technical Progress Report (TPR) and finance report of Civil Society project components
- Be responsible for the annual project review and final evaluation of the Civil Society project components
- Document lessons learnt, best practices and case studies from the Civil Society project components
- Master’s Degree in management, community development, advocacy and organisation development, government capacity building with an international development focus, or related field.
- Demonstrable understanding about CSOs and CSOs networks in the Greater Mekong region
- Demonstrable experience in institutional (organizational) development (or OD) in CSOs
Required Skills and Competencies
- At least 6 years’ experience in working on Civil Society engagement and strengthening
- Strong experience in capacity building
- Demonstrated coordination skills
- Experience in working with USAID projects will be preferred
- Adheres to WWF’s values, which are: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging.
- Demonstrates WWF behaviours in ways of working: strive for impact, listen deeply, collaborate openly and innovate fearlessly.
WWF International can offer you:
Contract duration: 2 year fixed term contract with possible extension
Please note the compensation package will be aligned with local salary and benefits conditions, in line with our reward policy.
How to apply:
If you have the skills and experience and are interested in leading our Mekong for the Future project, please email your cover letter and CV in English to AsiaPacificRecruitment@wwfint.org citing in the subject line ‘CSS MFF [YOUR FIRST NAME][YOUR LAST NAME]’
Deadline for applications: 04 January 2021.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Due to the urgent nature of this appointment, applications will be reviewed on a daily basis and interviews happen prior to the deadline. Please also note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted within six weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful for this role.
Female and Asian national applicants are encouraged to apply for this position. Work permit restrictions may apply.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.