International Fishery/Aquaculture Management Specialist
FAO Country Office in Tajikistan is responsible for partnership with and support to the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan, bringing together technical assistance and innovative, international best practices and global normative work standards with national and regional expertise.
International Consultant reports to Lead Technical Officer of the project.
Sustainability of aquaculture resources; and aquaculture management and development policies, strategies and plans.
Tasks and responsibilities
Main tasks will include:
- Prepare, with the support of the National Fishery/Aquaculture Expert, a report on functional assessment of SUE “Mohii Tojikiston”:
- review the current organizational structure of the agency and identify key technical and functional capacity gaps to effectively and efficiently serve for the sector;
- undertake a brief stakeholder analysis and mapping;
- identify key technical and functional capacity gaps;
- propose an organizational change management and transformation model for the agency to effectively discharge its mandate and modernize it practices, defining also roles and responsibilities of key stakeholders in the management of national fisheries/aquaculture sector;
- make recommendations to improve administrative capacity and service delivery of the agency;
- propose a time lined transformation plan as part of the assessment.
- Prepare a brief management plan for the warm-water aquaculture demonstration site:
- undertake a brief training needs assessment to identify key technical and functional capacity gaps to perform the functions of the EFU and identify training needs of key stakeholders with regard to in warm-water aquaculture ;
- propose a vision and mission and strategic imperative(s) for the demonstration site to serve as a national centre with the best practices of warm-water aquaculture production and training;
- identify key success factors and challenges for the demonstration site;
- identify key technical and functional capacity gaps and training needs of the key stakeholders;
- propose the ideal frameworks needed to provide effective support to stakeholders;
- propose the best service delivery mechanisms for the demonstration site.
- Present preliminary results, findings and proposals at a workshop;
- Prepare End of Assignment Report upon completion of tasks.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in fishery/aquaculture management, livestock production or related field (Masters/PhD is advantage);
- At least 5 years of relevant practical experience in fishery/aquaculture management;
- Working knowledge of English is required and at least limited knowledge of Russian (for Consultants). For PSA.SBS the working knowledge of only one language might be required.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Institutional and/or analytical work experience on senior management or senior analyst positions in at least one REU countries.
- Ability to plan and organize institutional and technical work and support work of multi-disciplinary teams
- Relevant experience in program/project management working in policy-driven programs/projects
- Previous experience and familiarity with aquaculture/fishery sector in REU region
- Knowledge of the socio-economic conditions and institutions in Central Asia
- Demonstrated analytical, negotiating and advisory skills
- Computer literacy with spreadsheets, databases and electronic programmes is required;
- Quality of both oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective technical team leader;
- Formulation of at least one national aquaculture policy, strategy, plans, management plan and/or functional assessment
- Specific experience on fishery/aquaculture management;
- Analytical experience as senior fishery/aquaculture management expert will be considered as advantageous