International Fishery/Aquaculture Specialist
FAO Country Office in Tajikistan is responsible for partnership with and support to the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan, bringing together technical assistance and innovative, international best practices and global normative work standards with national and regional expertise.
International Consultant reports to Lead Technical Officer of the project.
Sustainability of aquaculture resources; and aquaculture management and development policies, strategies and plans.
Tasks and responsibilities
Main tasks will include:
- Prepare, with support from National Fishery/Aquaculture Expert (NFAE), a practical manual on warm-water aquaculture for small-scale fish farmers based on analysis of current common practices of warm-water aquaculture in Tajikistan; with a focus on, among other things, site selection, water quality, farmed species, production cycle, production systems, feeds and feeding, harvesting, fish health management) ;
- Identify a warm-water aquaculture demonstration site for training of fish farmers jointly with the NFAE and prepare technical specifications of the site (i.e infrastructure and equipment for the demonstrative production and training);
- Prepare training materials and handouts on fishery jointly with the NFAE;
- Conduct a training for fish farmers together with the NFAE;
- Identify the needed items for producers’ kits to small-scale producers;
- Prepare a project concept and other related documents for further finance consideration with support of the NFAE;
- Participate at the terminal workshop and finalize the project concept and other related documents for further finance consideration;
- Provide recommendations on improvement of local markets for fish via conducting an analysis of existing demands, prepare and implement recommendations for better marketing of fish as food;
- Provide recommendations to fish feed producers and to improve production and access to the markets;
- Prepare End of Assignment Report upon completion of tasks.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University degree in fishery/aquaculture, livestock production or related field (Masters/PhD is advantage);
- At least 5 years of relevant practical experience in fishery/aquaculture;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Russian (for Consultants). For PSA.SBS working knowledge of English might be sufficient.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Institutional and/or analytical work experience on senior management or senior analyst positions in at least one REU countries.
- Ability to plan and organize institutional and technical work and support work of multi-disciplinary teams
- Relevant experience in program/project management working in policy-driven programs/projects
- Previous experience and familiarity with aquaculture/fishery sector in REU region
- Knowledge of the socio-economic conditions and institutions in Central Asia
- Demonstrated analytical, negotiating and advisory skills
- Computer literacy with spreadsheets, databases and electronic programmes is required;
- Quality of both oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective technical team leader;
- Specific experience on fishery/aquaculture;
- Analytical experience as senior fishery/aquaculture expert will be considered as advantageous;
• Formulation of at least one national aquaculture policy, strategy, plans, a manual on warm-water aquaculture for small-scale fish farmers and/or recommendations provided on improvement of local markets for fish
- Knowledge of Tajik/Dari/Farsi language is an advantage.