Project Manager Emergency/WASH
COOPI has been present in Sudan since 2004. The recent history of Sudan is marked by strong disorders and violence, expressions of a civil war that on several occasions has shaken the country since its independence. Since 2019, COOPI's interventions focused in the Kassala region that for a long time has been the scene of armed clashes and particularly hit by periods of severe drought.
Furthermore, following the civil war in nearby Ethiopian region of Tigray, thousands of people fled through the border in search of protection. This made COOPI in front line organizing first field assessment and emergency support. This crisis is expected to move from Ethiopia a large number of refugees, probably up to 200.000 (UNHCR estimation) with a perspective of a medium long emergency response intervention in Kassala region and Gedaref.
To allow the management of these activities and to ensure access to basic services for the hosting population and refugees, different interventions are going to be carried out, in the field of water-hygiene, food security and camp management.
Purpose of the vacancy
- In close cooperation with all the different positions in place at Country Coordination level, the Kassala Project Manager (PM) is responsible for the management of the coordination of her/his competence, in the fields of staff management, logistics, budget and procedures’ respect.
- Delegated by the Head of Mission, s/he represents COOPI with donors, institutions, NGOs, local government and international agencies available in the area.
- S/he guarantees the correct project implementation and the donors’ procedures respect.
Refers to: Head of Mission
We encourage international staff already in the country to apply.
- Delegated by the Head of Mission, s/he manages relations with institutional donors and potential ones in Kassala region.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission, s/he represents COOPI in its area of competence through relations with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations, and partners.
- S/he is also responsible for the Organization’s reputation in the area.
New opportunities identification
- S/he verifies and proposes to the Head of Mission the intervention priorities to consolidate new opportunities of involvement in the area.
- S/he cooperates with the Head of Mission in the identification of new project opportunities in his/her area of competence.
- Always referring to the Head of Mission, s/he coordinates and directly supervises projects, guaranteeing their correct implementation in conformity with contractual obligations and donors’ procedures, and in line with the COOPI’s procedures and management standards.
- S/he coordinates the elaboration, writing, and necessary documents preparation for presenting new projects, referring to the Head of Mission.
- S/he is responsible for the preparation of projects’ reports and all monitoring documents requested by the coordination.
Kassala office management
- S/he is responsible for all different aspects linked to the Kassala office management: program, logistics, and local staff management, in conformity with the organization’s guidelines.
- S/he coordinates the procurement process with the Logistician in Khartoum as needed and ensure all logistics needs are delivered in a timely manner.
- S/he manages all procurement processes in accordance with COOPI policies and procedures, in a transparent, accountable, efficient and cost effective manner.
- S/he ensures that all procurements are tracked and recorded appropriately to ensure accountability to the donor.
- S/he oversees collecting quotations for all supplies.
- S/he ensures anti corruption focus in procedures and trainings.
- S/he establishes filing systems/archives according to COOPI standards in all offices.
- S/he initiates and maintains necessary leases, licenses and contracts with relevant authorities and suppliers.
- S/he oversees all the necessary logistical operations to ensure the proper opening and the proper functioning of the base, and ensures the roll out of standard internal logistic procedures.
- S/he is responsible for the local staff management and training, in her/his area of competence, in close cooperation with the relative functions at Country Coordination level, whose indications s/he follows.
- S/he coordinates the expatriate staff, monitoring their activities, and participates to the staff evaluation, together with the Head of Mission.
- S/he is responsible for the expatriate staff security in the area, and for the correct implementation and respect of the general security regulation.
- University degree relevant subject with post graduate degree;
- Experience in working with different donors (ECHO, AICS, UNHCR, etc.);
- Experience in Emergency Response and refugee camp management;
- Strong technical expertise in WASH related activities;
- Good knowledge of humanitarian standard and background (ex. Sphere standard);
- Good report writing skills;
- Good knowledge and use of the English language;
- Advanced IT skills.
- Proactive aptitude in terms of planning and coordination with different bodies, institutions and Reference Points;
- Target oriented and problem-solving aptitude;
- Good leadership skills, aimed at managing and motivating a team;
- Positive ability to bear stressful and complicated situations;
- Diplomatic and confidentiality skills.
- Previous experience in the Region.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.