U.S. nationals: Senior Staff Attorney/Senior Attorney (Natural Resources and Environment Law)
The attorney will advise & assist GAO’s Natural Resources & Environment analyst team & the Congress on issues including federal management of land & water resources, protecting the environment, promoting a sound energy supply & addressing nuclear security & cleanup. The attorney will help resolve complex & far-reaching legal problems. Attorneys with experience in federal lands & water resources, chemical regulation, wildfire management & NEPA processes are particularly encouraged to apply.
Learn more about this agency
Major responsibilities will include:
• Researching and applying the law in the conduct of performance audits of agency programs and activities.
• Providing legal counsel on a broad range of environmental, energy, and natural resources policy and other issues.
• Reviewing GAO products to ensure they reflect an accurate and objective understanding and application of the law as it relates to the federal program or activity under review.
• Providing legal assistance and support to clients providing congressional testimony.
• Analyzing legislative proposals to determine potential effects and implications for federal policies and GAO.
• Drafting legal memoranda, legal opinions, and sections of audit reports.
• Providing technical and legislative drafting expertise to Congress.
• Briefing congressional staff on legal matters covered by GAO reviews.