JOB TITLE: Senior Hydrologist (Fixed Term Contract Opportunity)
Over the next two years, Arup and UK partners (UKDT), will be working alongside Peru’s Authority for Reconstruction with Changes (ARCC) programme to rebuild critical and social infrastructure severely damaged by the El Niño effect. Arup shall provide specialized technical assistance and guidance for 120 projects across two portfolios:
Portfolio 1 - Development of integrated management solutions for flood mitigation infrastructures for river basins and gullies and urban drainage systems;
Portfolio 2 - Reconstruction of healthcare and education facilities across the country.
The ARCC programme will run until 30/04/2022. Arup shall ensure resilience and sustainability of infrastructure projects against the challenges of climate change.
THE TEAM AND YOUR PART IN IT
Delivering a diverse portfolio of projects in a short time frame requires clear methodologies, packaging and full control of the project cycle.
Portfolio 1 - Integral Solutions include design and technical assurance support to studies underway by a range of consultants on the development of integrated water management strategies and infrastructure in nineteen river basins, five gullies, and seven new urban drainage systems.
Arup as technical and design assurance lead will:
- Carry out diagnostic readiness and identify early wins and fast track interventions within 12 weeks of appointment.
- Develop digital solutions for fast assessment, using GIS, remote sensing, machine learning to identify risks to assets and integrated solutions, accelerate collaboration and approvals, increasing transparency and accountability.
- Review, and reinforce when needed, integrated analysis of the entire water life cycle of basin catchments, urban systems, agriculture, aquaculture and discharges to coastal areas.
- Recommend and advise on Integrating hard and soft engineering solutions such as blue, green, grey and natural infrastructure.
- Identify information and scope gaps to include and deliver resilient and integrated RB strategies, that address issues such as: tsunami and coastal flooding, landslides, sedimentation, water quality/pollution, climate change and water stress.
- Review and provide recommendations on the potential for nature-based solutions in upper catchment areas, such as changes in land management and agricultural practices, and within cities.
- Identify and support interventions that enable inclusive economic growth, social and environmental value by including activities such as assessment of capital, operational costs as well as socio economic, urban and environmental costs/benefits (e.g. carbon sequestration).
Arup and partners “UKDT” it’s focused on delivering measurable sustainable and resilient outcomes to leave a positive legacy for the communities affected and Peru as a whole.
Arup role its focus on design assurance, ensuring resilience and sustainability of projects and communities. Integrated Solutions workstream requires a multidisciplinary team that works in full collaboration with ARCC (client), the UKDT partners and other local and global stakeholders.
Your expertise will be essential in ensuring the ongoing studies and proposed interventions do take into account international best practice on environmental baselining, mitigation, standards whilst enabling timely delivery. You will also be responsible for defining and developing an area of expertise, type of project or geography in the Integral Solutions package including on the job capacity building with ARCC and defined stakeholders.
The role's responsibility is to help deliver the integrated water management solutions (Portfolio 1). The focus of the role will be on providing hydrological expertise to support the Integrated Solutions portfolio. This is an in-country technical role with a broad and challenging remit.
- Lead on local technical discussions on hydrology, supported remotely by experts from the UK.
- Assist with the development, implementation and delivery of our river basin management inputs across the programme, including reviews of the hydrological inputs to the river basin, gully and drainage masterplans. Expert support in the assessment and planning of interventions.
- Be the point of technical liaison on hydrological issues between local stakeholders and the wider delivery team.
- Support the consideration of hydrological issues across all Portfolios
- A degree/MSc in hydrology or equivalent. Chartered status.
- Senior Experience
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Proven hydrological experience including river basin modelling and the incorporation of climate change scenarios into modelling approaches.
- Experience and knowledge of Peruvian hydrology characteristics would be an advantage.
- Experience in hydrological surveys, data management and analysis, and GIS mapping systems. Knowledge of complementary hydraulic modelling techniques.
- Good understanding of the assessment, design and delivery of interventions within river basins from a hydrological perspective, including flood defences and dams.
- Project Management and excellent IT skills (especially MS excel, ArcGIS, PowerPoint)
- Strong communication skills all levels with the client, suppliers, contractors and our design team - both written and oral. Good knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
- Excellent client service management capability.
- Excellent organisational skills and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously. Must be able to plan and prioritise workload effectively.