Type of contract: Part-time service/consultancy contract (daily rate), 50% time with the possibility for additional hours based on need and availability
Duration: Up to 9 months, depending on start date
Ideal start date: January-early February 2021
Reports to: Me
Hank and I are finally ready to bring on some help. This will be the first paid person working at Josh’s Water Jobs (JWJ), even before Hank or I, so we’re breaking ground and this will enhance the user experience and what we have on offer on the platform. Most of you who are reading this will be familiar with JWJ, but in case not, it was founded in 2016 and helps connect individuals around the world, especially young professionals, with opportunities to develop their career through open jobs, consultancies, internships and scholarships. The long-term goal of JWJ is to help contribute to closing the gender and human resources gaps in the water and sanitation community. No small task, but we’re off to a good start.
There are two main overarching elements to what this job will entail. The first is to take over some of what I do on a day-to-day basis, freeing me up to work on other aspects of the platform. The other is to work with me to coordinate and develop the additional content and services that we have planned to roll out in the coming year.
Why does this job matter? Because we really can’t take JWJ to the next level without you, so this is crucial for our growth.
To help JWJ achieve its mission, the Project Officer will:
- Coordinate the blog, which will be much more active than its current state. This will involve interaction with individuals to ensure the blog’s timely publication/presentation
- Coordinate webinars. Ditto with the above.
- Develop and edit videos and podcasts
- Drive our social media
- Upload and moderate jobs, as necessary (although the uploading we aim to outsource, so this will not be the heavy task that it is for me today, but this will arise when organizations directly ask us to upload)
- Manage information in databases
- Assist with (digital) marketing and business development, as needed
- Write and edit documents, as necessary
- Support me with recruitments as they come up
Additional tasks will most likely be added as the need arises and the platform evolves.
Who you are and what qualifications and skills you should have:
- Be someone who:
- Has a warm and kind personality
- Collaborates and communicates (oral and written) well with others
- Actively listens
- Is adaptive and flexible
- Values a friendly work environment
- Believes in JWJ’s vision and mission
- Bachelor’s degree with a good understanding of issues around water and sanitation.
- Native or near native fluency in English. Translation: I’d like for someone to be able to check my English from time to time.
- Social media savvy. We need to take our social media game up a notch.
- A multimedia savant. Videos, webinars and podcasts are in our future, so excellent capabilities in this arena is a must.
- Detail-oriented. Our platform depends on it.
Qualifications, skills and knowledge that it would be really, really nice to have:
- A decent familiarity with who’s who in terms of organizations in the global water and sanitation community. A lot of this job will be interacting with organizations and their people, so knowing where everyone fits will be beneficial.
- A love of geography. We’ve posted jobs from nearly every country on the planet and knowing what is what will be very helpful.
- Proficient in CMS, CRM, database management and Microsoft Office programs.
- Speaking additional languages is a major plus, especially the official United Nations languages.
This job is now closed
- A thoughtful cover letter of no more than one page with the three following elements:
- Why you are a good fit for this job
- One aspect of yourself that you bring to our platform that you think would be important to have on our team that is not mentioned anywhere in this job description
- The lake, stream, river, pond or other body of water that you most identify with and why
- Your daily rate in USD
How the application process will work:
All application packages will be reviewed, and a long list will be created whereby those candidates will be asked to complete specific tasks. Based on that, a short list will be developed. These candidates will be interviewed and have their references checked before a final decision is made on who the offer will be made to.
- All applicants will be notified of the results. No lack of response from us!
- Qualified female-identifying and non-OECD country candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This is a service/consultancy contract, so is not accompanied with any benefits (i.e., health insurance, holiday pay, retirement, etc.).
- The initial contract will be for eight to nine months, but may be extended depending on availability of funds (and mutual interest).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.