ABOUT 100 RESILIENT CITIES
100 Resilient Cities – Pioneered by The Rockefeller Foundation (100RC) is a new organization dedicated to helping cities to be better prepared for and quickly rebound from 21st century shocks and stresses. 100 Resilient Cities has selected and is working with 100 member cities from around the globe for whom it provides four kinds of value, to start: 1) Financial and other support for putting in place a new city resilience leader, a Chief Resilience Officer; 2) Support for development of a robust resilience strategy; 3) Management of a peer-to-peer network of member cities who can learn from and help each other; and 4) Connecting member cities to curated solutions of services provided by Platform Partners who can help them to implement their resilience strategies. 100RC seeks to increase awareness of the importance of resilience thinking, to catalyze a new community of urban resilience practitioners and spur the growth of a robust ecosystem of resilience-focused solutions and solution providers.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Associate Director, Innovation for Urban Water Solutions will be a key member of the Solution Development and Innovation Team which is part of the 100 Resilient Cities City Solutions team. S/he will help identify, develop and manage solutions for use in member cities working on improving, integrating and leveraging water system management and investments into improving their resilience; lead global partnership opportunities within the urban water sector; identify complementary programs across the urban landscape that complement or leverage the urban water initiatives; and offer direct subject matter experience to cities looking to better understand the role urban water systems management and investment can and should play in their resilience efforts.
Partnerships and solutions will come from a wide range of sectors, including the private sector, the non-profit sector, academia, government and more.
The Associate Director must understand member cities’ resilience priorities and needs, identify both existing and yet-to-be-developed services and solutions to address these resilience needs, develop solutions that are relevant to member cities and liaise with a broad range of potential service providers, developers, and other stakeholders to add services and solutions for use by partner cities.
Critical to this role is leveraging urban water systems management and investment in a manner that inspires, organizes, and accelerates cities towards achieving their resilience goals.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the entire 100RC organization to ensure urban water system related tools are being leveraged effectively by cities
- Serve as organizational lead on all things related to urban water systems, including scanning and identifying relevant solutions, tools, funding sources, service providers and other potential partners who could bring value to 100RC member cities
- Engage with current 100RC partners to develop new tools and services and/or to upgrade existing ones to meet evolving resilience needs and work throughout the 100RC organization to facilitate the implementation of city resilience strategies
- Actively report on, diagnose and manage feedback from the Partners, cities, and internal teams and be adaptable to making adjustments where necessary
- Identify and develop partnerships with new service providers, funders, and other partners and manage these relationships on an ongoing basis Participate in 100 Resilient Cities’ learning process and knowledge management, along with other members of the organization
- Help coordinate and facilitate external outreach and events
- Working across the entire 100RC organization to ensure personal subject matter expertise is leveraged effectively
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 10 years relevant working experience within the urban water sector, having managed relationships and teams
- Previous experience implementing water solutions in an urban context
- Deep Technical knowledge with water systems, working within and closely with City Governments.
- Demonstrated team player and ability to effectively and constructively work within a global team
- Demonstrated experience in negotiating contracts and interfacing with senior leadership in an organization
- Ability to serve as a strong brand representative for 100 Resilient Cities (e.g. strong interpersonal relationship abilities, intercultural knowledge and appreciation, partnership-building skills)
- Ability to develop a vision, shape strategy, drive progress, encourage innovation, and take strong ownership under dynamic, constantly evolving conditions
- Experience engaging with actors and organizations across sectors (public, private, non-profit)
- Ability to work internationally/across multiple cultures
- Excellent communications skills for both internal and external contexts
- Ability to travel as necessary – approximately 10-20%
- Bilingual or multilingual with languages within our 100-city network is preferred
- Global experience within our 100-city network is preferred
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. (New York office) and/or UK (London office)
Location: New York City or London
100 Resilient Cities is an Equal Opportunity Employer
100 Resilient Cities is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, 100 Resilient Cities ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.